• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Powder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to be getting new glasses, and It looks like they are going to be bifocals. For shooting purposes is there an advantage to no line or are the line glasses better. I am near sighted (can see up close OK) snd have astigmatisim.
Thanks in advance
No Powder

Greetings Carlisle from an ex-Des Moines guy. Living on the Oregon coast with no winter-just rain-no summer- justg fog and wind. Hey, the guys I shoot with are mixed in their preference. I shoot with bifocals with the line and with a couple of years of practice, I can usually hit a barn if near it. I can shoot fairly well actually if I concentrate on the front sight, generally looking through the "area" of the rear sight and focus on the front sight/target. A couple of other guys wearing "progressive" lenses can't hit the barn even if locked inside. They hate 'em for shooting but like them for everyday use. Results may vary. Good luck. Talk to your optometrist and talk to a couple of them...find a eye guy that shoots and let him know what ya need. If they think you're serious about buying, they will spend some time with you. Good Luck.

Thanks OregonJohn
Talked to my eye Doctor. He sugested the no line, said there might be a good compromise in the progression area. I'm talking and looking to shooters who us bifocal, such as yourself. I grew up in Des Moines I also run the Black Duck (our group) web page. Maybe someone you know might be on it. http://home.att.net/~wordet
Thanks again
No Powder

Hey No Powder. Roosevelt, Class of 1961. Keep us posted on what you discover using those progressive lenses. I didn't know anyone on your site but I correspond with Dorothy McElderry of the Iowa Black Powder Federation regularly. Keep your powder dry.

OH No I went to East High. I update the web page the first of each month. As the rendezvous season heats up there will be pictures of most of the Rendezvous we go too, so keep looking. On page 3 I have a link to The Iowa Black Powder Fed. that Dorthy is the secretary of.
Well you old Roughrider keep your powder dry No Powder

I guess I'm going to try the no lines. No one has a definitive answer as to which is better for shooting. Just ordered them today will let you know what I think in a few months.
No Powder

I don't know for sure if it is the bifocals or not but I'm shooting the worst I have shot in years. It can't be the years, can it?
No Powder

Hey No Powder. Hang in there. After I went to bi-focals, the line kind, it took some practice to get at least consistent again. Above I referred to the front site...hell, for me I do that front sight concentration and shoot pretty fair for an old Roughrider! Just practice and maybe change your "hold" just a little on the rifle to concentrate on the front sight. I did file open the rear sight to make a wider view of the front sight and it seemed to help. Good luck...Lee Township Against the World...remember? Hope all else is well with you and yours.

I'm in the market for bifocals so I read this string with great interest. I learned something interesting at my eye doctor's office today. I talked to an optician who wears bifocals and shoots. He told me that one of the doctors also wears them and shoots. When the doc fits someone for shooting bifocals, he has them bring in their rifle for fitup. Here's the interesting part: He sets up the bottom of both lenses for close work (12" or less). Then, let's say you're a right handed shooter- He sets the top of the right hand lens for the distance from your eye to the front sight. he sets the top of the left hand lens for the distance from your eye to the target. You shoot with both eyes open. I know it sounds wierd but my wife wears contacts where one is set for reading and the other is set for distance. she swears that they work - that the brain automatically compensates for it and she has no trouble focusing. I'll be seeing the doc on Monday and I'll try to learn more.

No Powder, I shoot with progressive bifocals and have done so for about 3 years now. The only compensation I had to make was to tip my head a little forward so that I was looking out of the top half of the lens (that is for hunting and woods walk shoots). When I'm shooting paper I have a set of shooting glasses that my optomitrist made for me with a Merit built into it and the rest of the lens is darkened. Makes a big difference when everything focuses easily. It's an easy adjustment to make shooting with progressive lenses as long as you know what to do. I'm lucky I've got an eye doctor who is a match shooter, rifle and pistol. Now if I can only convert him to shootin' soot like the rest of us. Take care, Rick.

My dad wears bi-focals but for shooting, he had a pair made with the right lense focused at distance of sights and left for 100 yards. No Bi-focals. He says it works great. He also took his rifle to the opti's office to get the sight distence right.

Cody

Glasses-what a pain!! My eyes have been failing for several years now. At first, a week pair of drug store variety glasses cleared up the sights and did the trick. Now I wear lined bifocals. For shooting the right upper lens is focused on the front sight, the left for distance and the bottoms of both for "reading" (cleaning out the touch-hole, changing flint etc.). This has worked out so-so. The target is still somewhat blurry as is the rear sight. In a woodswalk shoot where there are lots of shadows I have a hard time seeing the target. In some cases when the target is a rusty piece of pipe etc. in the shadows, I can't even find the target. Also the shadows give me eye strain and sometimes a headache. They work much better out in the open as in a paper or novelty shoot. The cheap drug store glasses would also work OK if I didn't need the higher magnification of the bifocal for "reading". For deer hunting I use my "regular" bifocals, and a smoothbore with a sling strap tied around the barrel and thimble about a foot back from the front sight. The strap acts as a rear sight (elevation reference) and seems to work tolerably well in low light conditions. Even after an eye test and new glasses I still couldn't see the lead splatter on the clanger targets or bullet holes from my .45c on paper at 25 yds. whereas other shooters could. When I told my eye doctor about this she said CATERACTS due to normal ageing process; not bad enough to operate but it certainly affects shooting. I guess it all comes with the baggage of a 1937 birth date.

I guess this will cover to topics in one. Been shooting awhile now with the progressive bifocals, mainly shoot the smooth bore, but because of the green mountain barrel topic under percussion decided to take the G/M 40cal to the rendezvous this last weekend. I have replaced the factory rear sight on this barrel with a small opening buckhorn sight. Anyway to make a long story short I won the trail walk, so I must be getting used to the bifocals and the small opening seemed to improve the sight picture. Thanks to all who made comments about your experiances with your glasses.
No Powder
cool.gif

Latest posts

Back