• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heaviest For 48" Twist TC Fifties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the heaviest bullet designs that work in the TC fifty bore barrels?
What accuracy did you achieve?

I never went looking for the heaviest that would work, but the absolute most accurate bullet ever out of my TC 50 was cast with a Lee mold for a 450 grain bullet design for the 50-70 govt. It was sized down but I don't remember to what. The load was goex ff. Don't recall how much but always over 70 gr. At 50 yards the holes were always touching.

It definitely rattled the teeth. :eek:

I have had good results with a hollow based mini that I make myself but they are similar to the Lee improved mini. and sixty grain FF.

T/C maxi-ball with 70 gr 2F killed bear and moose with them. Here in Maine I sight in at 50 yards, quite accurate.
Nit Wit

I have never had a TC that shot exceptionally well with maxies, could be all the flinching I did from the recoil which could be punishing on a slender guy like I once was back in my TC only days.

We camped a lot on management area public hunts, there was a campground on each of the management areas.

I remember one guy who camped alongside our group in the early 70s who was a dead eye with his Renegade shooting maxies. He would do stuff like shooting pinky finger sized branches off of trees at 25yards or perhaps bottle caps, he never missed, seems like a few guys bet he couldn't hit this or that but he always took their money.

This guy was about 5'10" tall and couldn't have weighed over 125#, I think he shot 100 gr of B/P behind his maxi, after 3 or 4 shots he would say "that is all I can stand" while rubbing his shoulder, then walk away. He didn't shoot again until the next day, his shoulder could only handle so much recoil.

In my early days at this game I got a TC and tried using maxi's for hunting. During Bambi season the mornings were always cool but warmed up to the 80's as the sun rose. I found, that as the barrel warmed, the lube got slicker and the bore enlarged but the lead bullet did not. Meaning that the maxi slid down the bore, usually about half way. Had I not checked this frequently with the ramrod it could have been a dangerous situation. Put the maxi mould away and have never used it since. That was about 50 years ago.

Back