• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with removing front sight T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camoclad85

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got a .50 cal T/C Hawken and someone beat the sight too far into the left and now it's stuck. It's kinda chewed up so I'm thinking oil and a punch ain't gonna do it. Someone mentioned to me about using a sight press to remove and replace. I've searched YouTube and googled it and haven't found anything remotely close to what I'm looking for. I know it can be fixed but I just don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• 17145275916437924112598614911104.jpg
    17145275916437924112598614911104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 17145276241396897939309632487030.jpg
    17145276241396897939309632487030.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 17145276380084516529844570378058.jpg
    17145276380084516529844570378058.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 17145276536155689598618976934206.jpg
    17145276536155689598618976934206.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I got a .50 cal T/C Hawken and someone beat the sight too far into the left and now it's stuck. It's kinda chewed up so I'm thinking oil and a punch ain't gonna do it. Someone mentioned to me about using a sight press to remove and replace. I've searched YouTube and googled it and haven't found anything remotely close to what I'm looking for. I know it can be fixed but I just don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated!!
If you want to tap it out make sure the barrel is rested against a heavy solid object. (something like a vice or anvil) Place a leather between the solid object and the barrel so you don't marr the barrel. Use a brass punch that fits the sight base. Use a 2 lb or better hammer. Make sure of your direction of tapping as the dovetail could be tapered. If it is tapered it is better to go back out, clean up the boogers and put it back in.
Larry

support barrel well brass punch remove left to right. Marbels has replacements, midway. they have gold dot or fiberoptic for old eyes. measure sight it self from top to bottom for the .000 height. install rt to left. may need to diamond stone, fine file to bottom of sight to get stared. good luck. mike

You can spend money on a ‘sight press’, but if your sight is in as tight as you believe, the sight press will bend or spring under pressure. I’ve see a couple of them damaged. If you really want to buy one, there are many sources. Try Midway. https://www.midwayusa.com/sight-installation-and-adjustment-tools/br?cid=23811
Personally, with the barrel well supported, a few well placed ‘persuasion’ hits with a hammer on the correct punch will get the job done. As a back up plan, maybe leave the sight where it is, and adjust the rear sight. Once you sight the gun in, you will not have to worry about the front moving if it gets bumped.

From your photographs, agree the front sight has been roughed up bit, but it looks functional. Tell us again why it needs replaced.

You need to be sure you know the exact location the post needs to be. I have run into a few rifles that the sights were not center of the out side diameter of the barrel but were nuts on with the bore. Not all bore are concentrically bored. If you need to remove the post and you don't have a sight press you can make one providing you have the tools needed. You may also have success removing it if you heat up the barrel a little then try tapping it out.

You might think about one of those tools which removes and install sights. I broke down and got one and have to admit it is effortless.

I tried, and destroyed, a brass punch trying to move a stuck T/C front sight. Colorful sweet talking both during and after the attempt didn’t help either. Ended up using a sight pusher. Micro turns on the pusher followed by a tap on the pushing claw(?) with a brass hammer. After a few micro turns and taps it finally came loose. Make sure the barrel is strapped down good with whatever method you choose.

I have beaten out many a TC front sight; often flaring the base in the process. I don't know why they put them in so tight, I suspect it is like the breech plug, if it is easy to remove tinkers will be constantly messing with it.

After I file the flair back to normal, I give the dovetail one or two light swipes with a tri-corner file for an easier front sight fit.

Took me many weeks to get my .50 T/C Renegade front sight off. Buggered it up using both brass and steel punches in a vise. Heated it, used penetrating oil and nothing. Someone suggested sawing middle of stock sight in half, since I was replacing with Lyman globe front sight. It worked. Great difficulty in removing must be a characteristic of T/C.
Anyway, I now have better front sight and rear peep and it’s a great PRB shooter.

Took me many weeks to get my .50 T/C Renegade front sight off. Buggered it up using both brass and steel punches in a vise. Heated it, used penetrating oil and nothing. Someone suggested sawing middle of stock sight in half, since I was replacing with Lyman globe front sight. It worked. Great difficulty in removing must be a characteristic of T/C.
Anyway, I now have better front sight and rear peep and it’s a great PRB shooter

That's a great idea!! Thanks!!!

Back