• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to Checker a Hammer Spur?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone with any experience on how to checker a hammer spur? The top of the hammer spur on my L&R flintlock is smooth and can be a bit slippery, especially when decocking. I have a bit of experience checkering wood, but have never checkered metal. Any thoughts about lines per inch, diamond or square pattern, tools? I saw on YouTube that special checkering files make the job easier. Thanks for any help.

It can be done with safe edge three corner file. Takes a steady hand and few lay out lines just like wood checkering. Angles vary from square to 60 degree’s depending on what you want.

I've got a dozen or so checkering files (for spacing) but am as likely to use a thread-chasing file as one of the "real" ones. Thread-chasing files are (relatively) cheap, so I can grind them down with a relatively) clear conscience. Once layout is done, I use a triangular file to cut the checkering. Basically, it is like doing checkering on wood: layout, spacing, then cutting the lines/pointing up.

Except it will look a lot better with a border (actually, thinking about it I prefer a border on wood checkering too). The problem is doing the lines up to the border--a file doesn't work for this. I use an engraving tool, a friend uses a die sinker's chisel (and he's much better at it than I am), another claims bordered checking on metal is the root of all evil so he doesn't do it.

LPI depends on what you are doing. You know how wood checking loses the grippiness if it gets too fine? Checkered metal gives a good grip with much finer checkering. For example, a revolver hammer might get checkered at 50-60 lpi, and still give a good grip. Something as coarse as 20-35 looks out of place, almost like a caricature, on a hammer.

Having expended all that blather, I'll point out that if you hook your finger under the lower jaw of a flintlock, you'll have much better control that trying to manipulate the hammer spur. YMMV, of course.

My method differs only in the layout method. I coat the hammer spur with a felt marker and then find a screw with the desired tpi. I use the screw to mark the "peak" of the spur then use a jewelers saw to saw lines using the screw thread marks to space the sawn lines. The sawn lines are only about as deep as the depth of the teeth. I do this in both directions and then use a triangular or a square swiss file to deepen the lines gradually, so that all lines reach the finished depth pretty much at the same time. Sometimes I will cut a border with a graver.

Some time ago D. Taylor Sapergia explained how he checkered a hammer on a percussion rifle. I believe it was on the American Longrifle web site. It was a detailed explanation with pictures - it was very well done.

Latest posts

Back