• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Magnetized barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just noticed the barrel is getting magnetized while I'm draw filing it. Normal, Strange, or just right wierd?

Spot

It is probably just your magnetic personality soaking into the metal. Kinda like "bonding" with your gun.

Keep on filing and keep the file teeth clear of the little chips.

Normal, don't worry about it.

I kept the air compressor running and blew it off every now and again.

Kind of cool, just wondered if it happened to other folks too.

And zonie you struck on something there, as I'm working this thing, I'm gettting a nice feeling of contentment. I'm having fun! Al-be-it, a bit scarry since I'm worried about screw'n up. I have NEVER filed on the barrel of a gun - Even though I'm only doing the finishing, it feels cool that I'm the one doin' it!
Spot

I hope you're draw filing it the whole length of the barrel...

This keeps the smooth look to it...

Also, ease those corners to the flats with just a single stroke after the filing is done, otherwise you could have 8 sharp edges running down the length of the barrel...

A fine file or emery cloth will do nice, better yet, get the Mrs. pink nail file and brush those edges smooth...

The metal filings will pick a slight polarity from the metal being filed off. It is OK and nothing to worry about & etl.. Just like laying a screwdriver or a file on the bench sometimes & ya pick it up & it has filings on it? Tap it on the bench & they are gone.

Back