• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patent Breech Investarms Hawken failures to fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of these comments are helpful.

I followed OldNo7's guide on deburring and cleaning the flash channel from Jan of this year. On top of that, I lightly deburred the front edges and interior of the powder drum with 0000 steel wool and cutting oil on a shaped bronze cleaning brush on the end of a long cleaning rod with a bore guide chucked into a power drill at low speed.

I then followed the instructions on tipping and tapping the barrel to help gravity when I put the powder charge in the barrel, and removing the nipple to see if there is powder in the channel. When I ran the experiment with the 3F/FFFG (black powder), I saw it, but not when I tried the 2F/FFG (T7). I don't have any 3F T7 on hand to verify the result with that powder.
I expect that making sure there were no obstructions in the powder drum and flash channel, and using the smaller kernels of 3F vs 2F will solve the problem. I'll know for sure when I get to the range after the rains clear.
3f T7 is the only substitute powder I use in side locks like yours. For all the stated reasons. It works just fine. Pyrodex P does too. I just don’t have any left.

I would suggest shooting off about 3 to five caps before loading your gun. It will dry up any oils or moisture in the flash hole and flash channel. Prior to shooting off the caps I would run a dry patch or 2 down the barrel to remove any oil or moisture in the barrel.
and store the gun muzzle down. It's surprising how much oil comes out of a 'lightly oiled for rust prevention' barrel.

No need to pump water through the patent breech or pop caps. My method is easy: Clean the fire channel using a bristled pipe cleaner, After loading the powder, lean the rifle lock side down and smack he stock a couple times; this allows the powder to enter the flash channel.

In the past 20 years one TC rifle gave me chronic misfire/hangfire trouble. i had replaced a worn nipple with someones expensive vented nipple that had a tiny flash hole. Replaced that useless nipple with a TC nipple, no more trouble.

I have an Investarms .50 cal. Hawken. I use a Tres Ampco #11 nipple which is only a .028 flash hole. I use Remington caps, CCI caps and RWS caps. I have never had a problem with hang fires or misfires. I use 2F Swiss black powder.
I have a buddy who shoots a TC New Englander. He is constantly getting hang fires and misfires. He uses Triple 7 powder.
I have been trying to convince him for years to shoot regular black powder but he won't listen. More than once he has not been able to fire shots at deer or his gun would not go boom at the end of a hunt when he wanted to unload his gun.
Yup, I had two hang fires in one shooting session with my New Englander when using 2F 777 and a CCI #11 cap. Never had that happen before or after with 3F black powder.

It simply needs a little more spark with 777 than what a standard nipple provides.

I believe that slapping the stock opposite the lock would move powder out of the flash channel not into it.
I wouldn't call it slapping. More like knocking or rapping in quick succession to help gravity get the powder to trickle in underneath the nipple. These vibes could work from either side as long as the lock is gravity side down from the powder charge. If one likes bashing his knuckles or palm on the lock to get it done, he should, by all means, go for it that way. I prefer moving the powder into place from the opposite, smooth side and it works flawlessly for me. For the OP, make sure you do this before seating the ball or bullet, as compression of the charge will most likely prevent it from trickling anywhere. If some powder does manage to get under the nipple this way, you will probably have an air gap between that powder and the main charge which can lead to more inconsistencies and some nasty hangfires. If all the powder moves toward the flash channel/ nipple after seating, you will then have the air gap under the projectile and a serious risk of 'ringing' and damaging your barrel. SW

I've tested it by loading, slapping the stock opposite the lock and then removing the nipple - every time there is powder in the flash channel. YMMV

Back