• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk handle length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what length handle you gentlemen and ladies like on your hawk or hand axe? I haven’t found a measurement I’d consider perfect yet. Here are my girls;
ADAAC223-9F81-47F5-9031-2BAFF3C7E5C8.jpeg
DF756F16-0AA2-4EF6-963E-846D412B6DCB.jpeg

Left to right/top to bottom;
Cold Steel Frontier Tomahawk-18.5 inches

Iroquois Tomahawk by Brave Hawk Forge-17 5/8 (made from a farriers rasp)

Belt Axe by Ben Hoffman-16 inches

The first two are throwers but can’t compare to the abilities of the belt axe for camp chores even with the added leverage. I understand the length may correspond to its application i.e throwing, wood processing, butchering.

How long is what you guys tuck in your sash?

Love to see some photos

Regards
Rató:rats

Just wondering what length handle you gentlemen and ladies like on your hawk or hand axe? I haven’t found a measurement I’d consider perfect yet. Here are my girls;
View attachment 144138View attachment 144139
Left to right/top to bottom;
Cold Steel Frontier Tomahawk-18.5 inches

Iroquois Tomahawk by Brave Hawk Forge-17 5/8 (made from a farriers rasp)

Belt Axe by Ben Hoffman-16 inches

The first two are throwers but can’t compare to the abilities of the belt axe for camp chores even with the added leverage. I understand the length may correspond to its application i.e throwing, wood processing, butchering.

How long is what you guys tuck in your sash?

Love to see some photos

Regards
Rató:rats
It all depends on the tomahawk's use. For throwing, I like about 14½". For splitting kindling, no longer that 16" These are not arbitrary numbers. My forearm measured from elbow to top of my clenched fist is 14½" I could comfortably carry either in my sash.

Depends on the weight/balance of the head. I use a tomahawk more for splitting kindling, clearing brush, and driving trap stakes. I don't want or need a long handle as many throwers prefer. I take the tomahawk and a saw out to the woodpile and actually use it, noting where I hold the handle for various tasks--then I shorten it to suit. Most of the time my user tomahawks wind up with handles in the 12"-14" range. My Kentucky-pattern hatchet has a much heavier head, and has an over-all length of ~16".

As for throwing, shorter handles turn more. That doesn't seem to matter in matches.

Back