• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trappers/Hunters Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stayed in a hunter tent this weekend. It was set-up with 2 poles on the out side. It was a buddy of mine's. I think we had it set up in about 2 minutes. As for room. It was just me in there a cot and my cloths and I had plenty of rooM. 10X10. I am 6'4" and the only place I could stand to change was right in the middle. If you don't carry a lot of stuff it would be great for two. But if you got a bit of stuff and the rain starts and things need to come in it would be very tight. If it ends up just being me doing these things. A 10X10 would be way to much for me.

SF

also the bell back is generally credited to the british.The bell adds a lot of storage area.I'll be getting another one when my funds allow.

Turtle2 said:
Could you help me understand what a "bell back" is.

museum%202%20with%20awning.jpg

wedge_tents.jpg

I've been looking into Wedge tents now and doing research behind them. I'm seeing & reading about them for military situatioms but not finding much for the fur trade era.

Would a wedge tent work for a fur trader persona because I sure don't see much on them other than military.

-Turtle2-

I seem to recall they were the only tent at rendezvous except for tipi's,I think it was in The Book of Buckskinning that I read that; but it stands to reason that a trader wouldn't take up valuable cargo space for a big tent when he could fill it with foofaraw and watered down whisky!

The wedge tent in one form or another goes way back in time & has persisted right up to today. A plain canvas wedge is likely to be accepted at all events unlike a Baker or single pole which are considered too modern in style for some events. A wedge is therefore perhaps easier to resell as it is useable for a wider group. Military usage of tents has been very widespread & is well documented compaired to civilian use of tents but this can actually work against you as some military units are known to have had specific size tents where a civilian could carry what he could find as surplus or have made to suit his purse.

You changed my mind. Thank you to everyone for all your help. Turns out I'm going with the wedge with a bell. And to think the only bell I ever wanted was the one ya hear for supper. Need to hone in on a size (input would be great) but going with a wedge.
Couldn't have done it without all your help and when ya ride by my camp stop in and we'll have some of that watered down whiskey that Wolf mentioned. :thumbsup:

-Turtle-

Well, as to size, smaller is easier to transport & bigger is easier to move around in. With a wedge, you can only use the very edges on each side for gear storage as the sides slope in. Likewise the very top comes to a point so a 6' guy will not really be able to stand in less than a 7' high wedge. How many will be using your tent and how much stuff do you take to an event? PS - Mrs Coot advises that the ladies REALLY like to be able to stand up to get dressed. If you get to an event, most folks are real helpfull & would let you check out their setups & try standing inside.

I have a wedge/bell from Tentsmiths and have no trouble standing up and getting dressed. But then I am 5'1"....my problem is getting all my gear in it and the bed. Since I built my new bed to fit my 12' tipi and the wedge...there is no problem. The bed is 16" TALL by 28" wide and 5'3" long. Found a cot was toooooo long and not very cumffy.

I'd say anything in the neighborhood of 9'wide by 7' tall would be plenty for two people and their gear.With the bell your looking at anywhere from 12'-16'long.Mine was from Panther and measured 9' wide by 16'long including the bell.

The great thing about a bell in a wedge tent is that you can stow a lot of stuff in it out of the way, AND hang things off of the post that holds the ridge pole up by the bell. Among other things, I throw a looped thong of leather around it, twist it once into a figure 8 and put the barrel of my rifle in one end the figuure 8. It stands up nice and securely, and stays close to the post. I also hang a cast iron hook off of the post to hang up some garments, or to hang my lantern if I want to read or rearrange the inside before hitting the bedroll.

My wedge is a small Panther one, 6 feet tall and 7 feet long with a 24" bell. I put all my gear in the bell, lay out a bedroll and have a box that I can sit on and store my cooler inside. Nice and comfy for me. It's a short tent, but I'm only 5'6" tall, so it works fine. If you're taller, make sure you get a tent that is at least 7' tall. That last 6" at the ridgepole isn't very usable. The bell is SWEET!

Also, if you use your tent in hot weather a lot, it's worth getting a door made in the bell. That way you can open up both ends and get a little flow-through ventilation if there's any kind of breeze. Makes a big difference in hot weather.

One other option I don't have and wish I did are the sod flaps. They allow you to put a ground cloth down and seal the edges of the tent under it. At reenactment events they usually have straw and I seal the edges of my tent with that. However, if you don't have straw, you don't have a seal.

Hope this helps,
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back