• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger guard jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can purchase a trigger guard jig for file work on trigger guards that will fit into a vice …. Otherwise, there a bear to work on a trigger guard without one…. I’ve seen pictures of different kinds however I don’t have the ability to make up a jig or the machining tools to make one… any help would greatly be appreciated

Just thinking out of the box here. You could just take a 2x4 and cut it to follow the contour of your trigger guard, inlet the tabs into it, and pin it into the 2x4. Clamp the whole thing in a vise and file away.

I take a plywood scrap, cut angles to match the front and rear extensions, and cut out the center to give me space to file--it ends up looking like a capital "U". I use small clamps to hold the tabs on the plywood.

Anyone know where I can purchase a trigger guard jig for file work on trigger guards that will fit into a vice …. Otherwise, there a bear to work on a trigger guard without one…. I’ve seen pictures of different kinds however I don’t have the ability to make up a jig or the machining tools to make one… any help would greatly be appreciated
Do what you want, but sounds like a waste of money to me. I have done file work on trigger guards for years. I either clamp the casting tabs and or the tabs that hold the TG in the stock. If that don't work heavy leather slipped in between the jaws works just fine.
Larry

Or, you can get a small 21/2" swivel vise from Harbor Freight. You have two axes of rotation to position the trigger guard as will be best to work on. Extend the width of the jaws with two thin straps of wood to hold the tabs of the trigger guard.

Or, you can get a small 21/2" swivel vise from Harbor Freight. You have two axes of rotation to position the trigger guard as will be best to work on. Extend the width of the jaws with two thin straps of wood to hold the tabs of the trigger guard.
Thats what I use, works great for all kinds of small stuff!

Thanks to all of you for giving me good ideas and sound advice… One of my friends says make two plywood triangles and throw in a couple of carriage bolts and cut a big U out of the long side…. Then you can pinch the ears or tabs. and you can work on it from both ends … Thanks to all guys. I really really appreciate it.

1011.jpg
Scrap wood and a couple screws

Last edited:
I made this one from some scrap 1/4" aluminum many years ago - I find it works very well for me.
P1030919.JPG
P1030920.JPG

Back