• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

03 harpers ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the camp
I just picked up a Investarms replica 03 harpers ferry the rifle has been shot a few times but otherwise it is in mint condition anyone out there own one? the fit and finish is a step above Investarms usual quality The price was right somethin about starvin kids or whatever made him sell it. don't know if i'll ever shoot it or even keep er just wonderin if anybody knew anythin about it
weasel

I've got one of the Brazilian 1803s. Mine was stock and not working right. Al Edge of Ruther Glen VA did some work on mine. He tuned the lock, drilled out the flash hole liner to accept larger size, drilled and tapped the end of the ramrod to accept screw in jags, brushes, etc. Removed the crappy rear site and installed a nice hunting site. The thing ignites reliably, but its hard to find the right flints. Seems you can't adjust the cock to improve its geometry thus you end up with a gap between flint edge and frizzen at half cock. And increasing the size of the flints usually only causes problems because they're too wide for the frizzen and can hit the barrel above the flash hole. Flash pan gap also needed some attention. Historically speaking, they're probably not even close to a real 1803 HF. I read that what they've passed off as an 1803 HF is mostly based on US firearms designed much later. I'm not satisfied with mine, but did take a deer with it recently. They're overpriced and underdesigned and the half-stock has not grown on me. I still think it looks kind of goofy. I got mine through a trade.

I,ve seen a couple 1803s from Navy Arms and Invest arms. If you want historical correctness they aren't it. With a bit of tinkering most can be made to shoot "OK" , some of the barrels aren't so great, some are good. Luck of the draw when you buy one.

If you want a historically correct 1803 call the Rifle Shoppe. Their parts were cast from an original and are quite correct. you can build one for about $750. I've made two from their parts and was pleased with the results. TOW also sells this same set of parts but with a modified preassembled lock. The barrels are made by Coleraine for about $200. Just an observation, I have other guns that are more pleasant too shoot than the 1803 (Isaac Haines for example)
Horse Dr.

Latest posts

Back