• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 of 7 tom's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushlake1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thursday May 4 th 2017 Minnesota spring turkey season...
4:15 p.m. 2 nd day of a week long hunt.
Birds wanted ZERO to do with calls or decoys..
So I set up to get in front of them.
While hunting day 1 noticed birds working around a thin brush finger of a big woods corner..a farmer Had a mini backhoe working the field edges on day one removing those shaggy trees that grew up and he piled them up on the point of the thin brush corner.
So I went in and opened up the middle of the wood pile and greened it in.

a perfect spot on point with farm fields 3/4 around me.

crawled into my hide at 4:40 pm 10 minutes later I hear a putt behind me..a hen..she walked off

5 pm the show began..

Had 2 monster toms doing the puff n strut spitting and hissing at each other.2 steps and fan snap open 2 steps and fan snap open..etc.Puff Puff Puff.

They came out of the woods 200 yards down the edge..Took them an hour to get to 40 yards almost in my lap.

By that time i was a wreck..HaHa..it was dead calm no wind quiet..

..and the sound of their tails snapping open was pretty cool...

At 40 yards I had the gun up waiting for them to close the last 10 yards..When!

out of the corner of my left i I see dark blobs 1,2,3,4,5 oH rats! they flanked me and their at 20 yards off my left shoulder.

I took a quick glance and their all toms with 9 inch or better brushes.

I swing the flinter left first 2 birds move forward 3,4,5 stop..then 3 moves forward and 4,5 are still bunched up 4 moves forward into

my opening..I take a bead and touch off.....Nothing but a black powder cloud surrounding the general area..start my internal

chant..please be down..please be down etc...finally the smoke dissipates and its turkey dinner time!

Those 5 toms were going to join the fray...couldn't say no...

my buddy(Spike Buck) that's local also on the lease had 28 toms walk by him single file last fall shortly after fly down Late Oct bow deer

season..He knows I'm gullible..and I had a hard time digesting that tale..till the next day I had 15 toms walk by....

These two monster toms gave me a show I'll never forget....

And I feel grateful to have seven toms in front of me while hunting in the spring....More than outstanding...Another red letter day!

Thursday May4 th.

doa 6 pm @ 28 yards

brush pile turned turkey hide..

tail front to back

9 inch beard

My flintlock and day bag..

1 1/16 inch spurs

19 pounds

12 ga. T/C New Englander converted by me to flintlock(my back-up Fowler) and my first that hooked me on Blackpowder in 2009

My 10 ga. Robin's fowler was giving me A.D's so I cased it.

# 4 hevi-shot
95 gr. FF Goex
Null -b prime= Bang flop!

The hide...

P5040489_zpsdnrx2npn.jpg

doa 6 pm.Bang flop!

P5040490_zpsjfbvfanv.jpg

1 of 7

P5040498_zps79lbeulc.jpg

Backup fowler-bag and thomas!
P5040516_zpst3ydjfhl.jpg

P5040502_zps6gmu9kii.jpg

P5040524_zpsd0el70an.jpg

P5040495_zpsi4rhr06q.jpg

P5040523_zpsfdrvb3ke.jpg

Fowler that is a nice bird and great story .Thanks for sharing . Tom :bow:

Thanks sooner...spoils of the hunt.

Double batch of turkey chowder! for the fish trips ahead...

and turkey Fajitas..

P3260359_zpsyza4tbit.jpg

P5090547_zpsskkarzum.jpg

Perfect job on choosing your location and making an effective blind - that's a lot of eyes to hide from! Very well done. :hatsoff:

Versatility is the key to success in the turkey woods. Setup and call, run and gun, wait them out, belly crawl... you do what needs to be done some times.

Love the food pics too. :)

The Baron said:
Perfect job on choosing your location and making an effective blind - that's a lot of eyes to hide from! Very well done. :hatsoff:

Versatility is the key to success in the turkey woods. Setup and call, run and gun, wait them out, belly crawl... you do what needs to be done some times.

Love the food pics too. :)
-----------------------------------------------

I hunted 6 days in wisconsin the week before this hunt...Had a should- woulda- coulda season there..

I swear the birds are changing from years past..not sure if they are getting smarter or I going the opposite direction..

flexibility trumps all.

Thanks Barron..enjoy your hunting tales too.

Spikebuck said:
Congrats again, Dan. :hatsoff:

Next year I guess I'll only have 27 walk by me on deer stand. :grin:
------------------------------------------------
Thanks Mike!
Can only imagine how many turkeys will be running around after this springs hatch.

Note...carry a good digital camera everywhere.
Mine fits in a shirt pocket .

Thanks guys! Just love the colors and iridescence of the turkey feathers in the sun..
Going to use the wing feathers for my cedar arrow fletching.and the tail for my tom turkey decoy.

For those wanting to build the turkey chowder recipe

This is the one I use as a base and have tweaked it...
http://foodforhunters.blogspot.com/2013/07/pheasant-with-mushroom-wild-rice-chowder.html

This is great with rabbit also,have used pheasant legs,turkey,and chicken dark meat..all good!

Wife and I prefer using dark meat.

here are the modifications I have made to this recipe.

Note... I have built 6 batches and have fine tuned this to taste.

1. double or triple the meat.
2. use low fat Half and half
3. use a pound of bacon with fat render down.
4. use the lowest sodium content for your broath.
Note... read the labels while shopping..it makes a big difference.
5.use fresh mushrooms and chop the veggies not small!
6. sip white wine while building this recipe..makes it taste better. :grin:
7. give yourself 2.5 hours from start to kitchen clean up dishes and all.
8. Don't be afraid to try this recipe..it has never failed me yet!
9. I build in double batches ..each batch serves 6-8 double servings.

Happy cooking..Good hunting...dan

P3260357_zpsyzkhv9mg.jpg

P3260355_zpseougno9r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back