• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10ga. or 20ga. fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the real advantages of wing shooting with the 10ga over the 20ga? Both are flint the 10ga will have a 46" barrel and the 20ga. will have a 48" barrel. I know the 10ga can throw 2oz loads but realisticly I will keep them under 1 1/2oz of shot. Both will be primarily used for wing shooting.

I have shot ducks, geese and turkeys with 11ga, 12ga and 20ga. blackpowder guns using #4 Bismuth for waterfowl and #6 chilled lead for turkeys. I can't say that I saw or felt any difference between them. All got the job done - a smile on my face and meat in the freezer.

IMHO, the range limitations that come from the lower velocity of BP shotguns is the real limitation to effective range. And, assuming a straight cylinder bore is used, I have found I get denser patterns from lighter shot charges so I can't see much gain on a larger bore. I guess someone could argue the advantages of a shorter shot string in the 10ga. but I can't see much appreciable value to the big bore when shooting at moderate ranges.

if your limiting the amount of shot then my answer would be weight...

Using bismuth in either gun should clear up a lot of shot stringing. Harder the shot the tighter the pattern. Only my opinion though. :)

I had a Pedersoli 10g for a while, I shot everything with it, walked up woodcock even.

I shot my highest driven pheasant ever with it.

I used ounce and 1/4 or 1/2.

The lesser bores/gauges may be better with ball though. Maybe thats the wrong way to put it, you will have more ball per pound of lead thats for sure.

Brits

I'm looking at either the RE davis french fusil or the chambers new england fowler, I'm sure the new england fowler will be a better wing shooting gun but I'm drawn to the fusil for some reason. If it's not a huge difference I'll probably go with the fusil.

if you want a gun JUST FOR SHOOTING WATERFOWL, then consider the larger Gauge gun. It gives you more shot, to fill the patterns.

However, with any BP gun, you are limited in the yardage by the velocity you can achieve, and the choke in the barrel.

A Modern 10 gauge gun might be capable of shooting Non-toxic shot loads in patterns sufficient to take birds out at 50-60 yds. Your BP 10 ga. is going to be a 40 yd. gun at most, unless its choked.

If you are considering using that fowler or fusil for hunting deer, with a PRB, then go with the smaller gauge. A 20 Ga. RB will weigh about 320 grains, or 3/4 oz. and for the distance at which it is accurate( 70-80 yds.), its more than plenty to take any deer. The recoil from shooting heavier balls in the larger gauges becomes a factor in shooting them accurately.

If I were going to shoot a RB out of a 10 gauge fowler, I would choose Fg or, at most, FFg powder, and keep the load reasonable, based on the fact that the weight of the ball is going to give me a very good SHOVE when the gun fires, and I am putting into motion a substantial FREIGHT CAR that will pass completely through a deer if it hits one. High velocity is Not needed when your deer is 50 yds or closer to you.

That idea is hard to accept for new shooters to this sport, particularly if you have been shooting modern CF rifles until now.

If you are willing to limit the yardage at which you shoot at waterfowl( 30 yds or less), a cylinder bore 20 gauge with 1 1/4 oz. of shot will kill a lot of geese and ducks. :thumbsup:

i have both and IMO, the 10ga is lighter than the 20, but not by much. i also believe that it does pattern more evenly, but aside from that and shoving much heavier loads than the 20, the 20 is just as an effective killer.

Medic, which one do you prefer for wing shooting as far as ergonomics go? Do you find that fusil kicks you in the cheek or is othewise more uncomforatable than the chambers fowler? I know that the davis fowler's stock is alot different than most other's fusil kits.

really, i think the 20 is probably better for swinging on fast upland game and ducks, simply because it has a somewhat slimmer profile. the 10 is better suited to larger birds such as geese and turkey. but, i must say that i prefer a somewhat shorter barrel for wing shooting, i prefer a 42" barrel. for me it is an easier sight picture. neither of these guns kick me in the cheek.
maybe you mentioned this already, but what kind of birding do you intend the gun for?

I have hungarian partridge, sharptail grouse, ruffed grouse, turkey, woodcock, ducks and geese and on some years pheasant on and around my farm, I primarily hunt the grouse and huns but some years I hunt the water fowl pretty extensively. The good thing is I have lots of oppourtunity and I almost never go home empty handed. I also shoot between 8 and 12 deer a year and possibly an elk if I get drawn next year.I don't think I'll be bear hunting for the next couple years but I have in the past. I'd like to have a gun that can do it all I guess, I'll eventually get a 10ga. no matter what. My first flintlock was a .62cal fusil with a 36" barrel and I couldn't hit anything on the wing with it, but I think it was inexperience coupled with the short barrel.To be honest I haven't put the time in developing shotloads with my smooth bores till this year, I know logically I should get the 10ga. due to it's utility and the fact I don't have that gauge yet, but I really like the long slender fowler's style and my wife will only let me get one :wink:

In a 10g you could try a lesser ball like say a 690, just double up on the patching. This may allow less lead consumption and a rise in vel.

I tried this in a 12g but I can not remember what ball I tried.

Just a thought.

B.

well, if you like the long slender fowler, than i think you should get it. you can always get another one later.

yeah, I don't think I will lose much utility with the 20ga. All my other smoothie are on the shorter side (less than 36")so I'm interested to see if the longer barrel helps patterns like I've heard so many claim. I found an original new england fowler yesterday I'm considering buying it, it is in shootable shape but the barrel is only 32" (half-stock)and it has been converted to percussion.

nothing handles like an original that's for sure. i will testify that the longer barrel will not only give better patterns but also better velocity too. i think you'll do just fine with the 20ga. my field load is 1 1/4oz copper plated #4 over 80 grn swiss 2F and drops birds like a stone. the 10 is for turkey.

Back