• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12Ga Load Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, Shooting my Cabelas (Pedersoli) 12 gauge double, I get great patterns with 85 grains 2F and 70 all measured by volume. using 1 1/4 oz #4 ITX shot, softer and a little lighter than Hevi-Shot.

I have a snow goose and Brant hunt coming up in November would you use the 85 grain load to get more energy or the 70 grain load? I don't plan on getting any #2 or BB sized shot.

how soft is that shot? if you whack it lightly with a hammer does it flatten like lead?

If you want better patterns at 40 yards, don't increase the powder charge, whether your gun is cylinder bore( CB) or choked. The size of the shot will determine what kind of pellet energy is remaining when the pellet reaches 40 yds. The larger the diameter, the heavier the shot, and the more energy it carries.

If patterns are getting thin, stay with the same powder charge, but increase the VOLUME of shot you load in the barrel. Always test these patterns on a patterning board before taking them hunting.Adding an additional 1/4 oz. of shot( by volume) to a standard load adds enough pellets to the load to fill your patterns down range noticeably. So, for instance, if you are shooting 1 1/8 oz of shot, increase the shot charge to 1 5/8 oz. of shot. If you are shooting 1 1/4 oz. increase the shot volume to 1 1/2 oz.

Recoil will increase a bit, but most people don't notice recoil when they are hunting.

texcl said:
how soft is that shot? if you whack it lightly with a hammer does it flatten like lead?

Don't know about a hammer, but I used a leatherman and squeezed it our of round pretty easy. It is softer than Hevi-Shot.

paulvallandigham said:
If you want better patterns at 40 yards, don't increase the powder charge, whether your gun is cylinder bore( CB) or choked. The size of the shot will determine what kind of pellet energy is remaining when the pellet reaches 40 yds. The larger the diameter, the heavier the shot, and the more energy it carries.

If patterns are getting thin, stay with the same powder charge, but increase the VOLUME of shot you load in the barrel. Always test these patterns on a patterning board before taking them hunting.Adding an additional 1/4 oz. of shot( by volume) to a standard load adds enough pellets to the load to fill your patterns down range noticeably. So, for instance, if you are shooting 1 1/8 oz of shot, increase the shot charge to 1 5/8 oz. of shot. If you are shooting 1 1/4 oz. increase the shot volume to 1 1/2 oz.

OK, I follow you on all that you are saying, The manufacturer has limited shot charge to 1 1/4 oz. and 89 grains, I would love to shoot an 1 1/2oz or even a 1 5/8 oz load, but I am leary of going over the recommended. I am not one that wants to experiament to see how long the gun will last by shooting over the recommended.
My current load does shoot good 70gr 2F and the 1 1/4oz all by volume.

Well. You are following a safe practice. I was not aware of that limitation by the manufacturer. I can assure you that 12 gauge guns can handle heavier powder charges, and heavier shot loads that that manufacturer recommends. But, by staying within their guidelines, you don't have to worry about blowing up the gun some time. If it does happen, they get to send you a new gun, AND, pay your medical bills.

MY favorite load does not come close to the limits set by your manufacturer. 75 grains, 2Fg Goex, 1 1/4 oz. #5 lead shot. If I were using that new shot on ducks, I would probably use the #4 shot, with a 1 1/4 oz. load, and the same powder charge. For Geese I would prefer to use much larger shot, but I don't know what is yet available. I have seen #1 steel shot bounce off large Canada Geese, at 40 yds. I once killed a goose out at 40 yds, with a Steel BB load, but only because several pieces hit it in the head and neck. There were amazingly few hits that made it into the flesh on the rest of the body. I won't recommend steel shot for any waterfowl shooting much beyond 30-35 yds. I know there are reports of it killing at almost twice that distance, but I am unimpressed. I am hoping the new shot will succeed, and the price for it will drop so that mere mortals can afford to shoot it. :thumbsup:

I am not a fan a large shot even when lead was legal I shot #4 and 5 lead, actaully #5's 90% of the time. I know what you mean about shot bouncing off honkers.

The new shot is pretty good, I have a few friends that have been shooting #4 and #6 hevi-shot out of their Cabelas 12 ga doubles and love the stuff.

Richard M said:
... ITX shot, softer and a little lighter than Hevi-Shot.

A caution, if you are not using a good shotcup. ITX shot has been discussed on this board and others. It is soft enough to not damage thin chokes, but it is abrasive and needs to be with some sort of bore protection. Ballistic Products recommends steel-rated shotcups, rather than just lead-shot ones.

For the present, only Nice Shot and bismuth/tin (again available, from a guy on another board) are the only materials usable in traditional loads.

Good hunting,
Joel

Back