• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

13/16" Barrel, which lock size ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am beginning a 36 cal rifle which is 13/16" across the flats.
Always figured using either a large Siler lock or a L&R Classic, both of which I already have.
Just bought Dixons book on building Pa longrifles and he really dont address the subject.
But might either of those locks give me trouble being too large for that barrel?
I want to use as large a lock as I can with-in reason, just like that look.
But if the pan / bolster area is too big for a 13/16" barrel, now would be the time to know??
Should I use a small Siler??
Anyone with any experience in this matter??
Thanks

I am working on a loose copy of an Armstrong long rifle. I used a 13/16" barrel and a large Siler lock. The proportions are fine, if anything the lock is a bit small.

Next time I will use the lock with the uncut plate so I can make it exactly how I want.

Track of the wolf's catalog has true to real size pictures of the locks they sell. You can use them to lay out your project. That way you can know how it looks and fits.

I have used both sizes, and both will work fine with your barrel. What kind of rifle are you building? Either of these will be a good choice for a rifle type that would have been made in Pennsylvania, while a late Ketland might be a better choice for a southern rifle. So many people use the Siler lock, I tend to look for something a little different. Chambers make a number of different locks, all of which work well.
Of course, if you are using a pre-carved stock inletted for a Siler, there is nothing wrong with that.

My #1 rifle has a .45 13/16" bbl.and the L&R classic lock, great combo, But if making a southern gun use a limey lock, go with an English type lock--late Ketland or other ....Tom

I am making a Pa style, Lancaster more or less.
I might try some trickery with the stock to make it similiar to a bucks Co if I can.
The wood I am using has a few "issues" and this is as much a practice as anything.
Thogh I am trying my best, its just been along time since I built a rifle.
I just finished one and I am pretty happy with it. But I was purty lucky I think. I worked on it for 2 to 3 years off and on.
No more of that. I am snow bound and am trying to make some time here on this one
I think I will use the L&R Classic cause later I might buy a kit and the Siler would fit most of those?
Thanks all

I am building a 45 cal 13/16ths barrel, but in left hand. I wish they made a small siler lock in left hand.

I am a very green builder being my first build. However, I think it will work fine. The body of the stock when making a thin barrel around the lock and wrist area doesn't end up being any smaller.

Asthetics might be an issue to some.

I have the Dixon's book. I am reading and primarily using the gunsmith of grenville county book which is being re-printed.

His opinions is the original locks on these smaller guns were a bit smaller physically. So, the author buys the lock kit and uses a jeweler's saw to make a more slender lock plate body when and where you can. In one example in the lock chapter, he also removes material around the pan body and removes some material around the frizzen to make it more slender.

I am not sure if you can do this for now. But, get the stock roughed in and then bring the whole gun to Dixon's and see what the gun might look like with the lock next to it.

When you make the frizzen, hammer arm, and lock plate all a bit smaller, it ends up looking nicer.

I was torn here with my build. I have an Dixie ashmore warranted pistol lock in LH I can use. But, I think I want the good sized flint and frizzen the larger siler has to offer.

The L&R "Bailes" is a good pick for a LH gun. Not all Pennsylvania guns had German locks. Track wolf shows a pic of a Dickert with a Manton type lock--and he worked at time of rev. war......Tom

Always consider the style or school of rifle first, and it will usually show what lock was used. Then look for the lock ya need, and again staying in that school.

Either lock ya have will work on the 13/16" barrel in a rifle. The key is to get the rest of the rifle proportional to the barrel size, the lock will work out fine.

Depending on the rifle, a small Siler could actually be too small for some rifle. It just depends on the rifle.

Keith Lisle

One of my favorite rifles ever is a .45 cal with a 13/16" straight barrel and large siler lock. To me, the proportions are near perfect and I'm a fancier of swamped barrels too. But there is just something about this gun that is so well built and so nicely balanced. It was built by Tim Johnson of Indiana. Here is a picture....
I don't think I would ever want a rifle with a small siler lock. I like larger locks. Rifles with smaller locks remind me of the production guns sold in the 70's and in some cases up to now. There's just something about a nice substantial lock mounted on a gun. And that's just my 2 cents.....Mick C

Back