• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1817 U.S. Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I need to know how the catch worked on the oval patch box of this rifle. Does anyone have an image of the inside of the patch box showing the spring and catch? Thanks.

Not an 1817 but a J & S Hawken using the same type catch - the lid opening spring is missing - you can see where it was screwed in - it would be like those shown to you on ALR. This type catch engages the outside edge of the lid as seen in the closed position:

patchbox-2.jpg

patchbox-1.jpg

Jake for sure worked on the M1814/1817 while employed at Harper's Ferry Armorey - the style box used on this Hawken is a bit more oval shaped than the M1814/1817, but for all practical purposes they are the same

I wasn't sure any Hawken rifles had that type of lid without any surrounding metal, apparently they did. I was only familiar with the type with a pineapple finial It sure looks like a hinge was soldered to the oval lid. If that is PC then that may be how I do mine.
Not to state the obvious but... as I understand there are two springs. One spring goes near the hinge and its job is to pop open the lid when the latch is pushed back. I assume that gravity keeps the lid open since the hinge is on the bottom of the rifle. The other spring is a right angle with a catch in front and an extension in back that I assume is to cover over the slot into which the spring fits.
In the photograph there is another little button to the right of the catch, what is it?

I have two Common rifles in the office. I'll try to get you a picture tomorrow since I have to take some photographs in any case. I think the Hawken box looks the same but I'm sure mine has the spring also.

Joe Puleo

Latest posts

Back