• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1836 Paterson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Lillie has a older sister now. I picked up a 1836 Paterson revolver to keep her company. Both of these pistols have nipples that looks like it takes a different style of nipple wrench than any that I have. It needs to have 4 prongs that are each shaped like a 1/4 of a pie. Does anybody know where to get such a nipple wrench? Here is a picture of the Patersons and my belt knife. The sash is a fingerwoven sash that I wear under the belt. I would be grateful for any help on the special nipple wrench for these early revolvers.

P7170066.jpg

Many thanks,
Cooner

That is the origional style of nipple.I have one
like yours and use a long nosed pliers to lossen
them. works well.

You can get a Paterson loading tool that has a nipple wrench built in from Dixie Gun Works. It also makes loading the cylinder on a lever-less Paterson a LOT easier.

bpesteve,
You are correct about the loading lever containing the nipple wrench. The nipple pick is inside the bulbouse end also. the other end of the loading lever is the screwdriver for the Paterson. If your goin to use it as an actual loading lever buy 2. I broke mine at the milled spot next to the pivot. Or better yet use a loading stand.
You can also buy at Dixie the other Paterson goodies. The special 5 shot loader, the paterson capper, and the paterson cleaning rod. and the paterson display box. BUT if your goin to buy al those goodies better have deep pockets the whole works will cost you about 300bucks to set up. Better be prepared on your history and operation of the paterson. You will find that it will be
a point of curiousity at any BP gathering.

Let's have a 'show us your Patersons' thread going here. My collection: One old Navy Arms, 2 homemade-except barrel and cylinders. Prettiest revolvers ever made!
Paterson.jpg

The loading lever came with the 1836 pistol. I have it in hand. Does the bulbous end screw off and expose the nipple wrench? I can't seem to get mine to screw off. :confused:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll eventually have to get all the toys that goes with it. :grin:
$300.00!!! I'll have ta wait a bit. :shake:

Yes, it unscrews. One of mine has the 4 prong wrench. The other has a standard, guess a file would make quick work of that. Maybe a drop of liquid wrench-careful putting too much force, but it should come off.

Thanks fellas. It finally gave way. It looks like someone along the way put Lock-Tite on the threads. Go figger. :shake: Anyway, I cleaned the threads off real good and it works fine now. I certainly appreciate all the advice and learnin' ya gave me today. Y'alls a great bunch to hang with. The last fella that owned it never shot it and didn't know where the nipple wrench was. He didn't have a nipple wrench just a loading tool. :grin: I will let him know what the deal is on these Patersons. He will most likely be as surprised as I was. I sure like these little pistols. I think they look great and the 1839 shoots where ya look. I hope the 1836 does the same. They are both Uberti's. The 1836 is in the 8xx range. I suppose it is one of their earlier ones. I wonder how many they made before they quit making them. Y'all know how to find out?

Many thanks,

Cooner

Somebody's still making them, or at least they did up until a year or two ago. I've seen them for sale at Dixon's Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA, or at the Cabela's near there. Don't remember if these were Uberti or perhaps Pietta :hmm: .

Pietta still makes them. You can buy them thrrough Dixies on line along with capper, presentation box, and the special Paterson powder flask(129bucks) a bit pricey though. Also you can get the paterson pistol cleaning rod. I keep buying the parts for a presentation box a bit at a time.
Oh yes you don't have to get the 5 shot auto reloader flask. They also sell a single shot.
Parts I find are readily available at www.VTIGunparts.com thats where I got my spare(2) loading lever.
Dixie cat#158 on page 70 has the paterson listed along with some of the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crooner54, What are the markings on the 9" Barrel Paterson with the attached loading lever? I have never seen this variation before. Please email direct to: [email protected]

Call toll free to: 866-322-6854
Phone: 918-341-3525

Thanks

Back