• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im new at this,,,is Uberti and Pietta the same thing? Iv heard that Ubertis are wonderful cap and ball pistols? I was on the verge of purchasing one, now after reading the pistol threads, im cautious again? Was the guy that got the 1851 from Cabales,,was it a Uberti?
Thanks guys.

No, Uberti and Pietta are two different companys. The Ubertis are top of the line revolvers. Piettas can be good too, but some people have problems with them. Of course any gun can have problems.

Years back, Pietta had some problems and were generally lower quality than Uberti. Pietta has been coming up in quality lately, while Uberti is still about the same. They're probably close enough now to not notice a difference, but I still prefer Uberti over Pietta.

Hi. That would be me, and they were Piettas from Cabellas. Notice I said "were". They have since been replaced by a pair of Ubertis from Texas Jack's. Bottom line: You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

About 10 or so years ago I bought several pietta revolvers from cabelas. I had to do some gunsmithing on every one to get them to function smoothly. In the last year I bought 3 pietta revolvers from cabela. I could't believe how smooth and beautiful they were.

On the other side of the coin,I have several Piettas:an 1851 navy, a 1860 army,an 1858 remington and a 1858 remington stainless steel.Could'nt be happier w/ them.Best regards,J.A.

Mikey the Barbarian said:
Im new at this,,,is Uberti and Pietta the same thing? Iv heard that Ubertis are wonderful cap and ball pistols? I was on the verge of purchasing one, now after reading the pistol threads, im cautious again? Was the guy that got the 1851 from Cabales,,was it a Uberti?
Thanks guys.

FWIW,
Over the past 30+ years, I have had Armi San Marco, EIG, Westerner Arms, Palmetto, Pietta, Uberti, including Cabela's, CVA, NAvy Arms, Traditions (which are all made by a handful of the aforementioned companies) Ruger, of course, and probably a few more that I can't remember right now...

I read somewhere that only a few manufacturers actually exist and all cap-n-ball revolvers come from those places. Ruger makes their own--which is not a replica of anything, but similar to the Remington or Rogers & Spencer, if trying to compare them. I seriously doubt if you could hurt a Ruger Old Army using black powder.

Nowadays, the choice is basically between a Pietta and an Uberti. I generally like the fit & finish on the Uberti guns better, but Pietta is nothing to be ashamed of either. The Uberti guns usually have smoother actions from the box too. But the Piettas are getting better. If you can handle both at a shop or a friend's house, you might prefer one make over the other, but there's not an excessive amount of difference anymore.

The price difference to to be a bigger deal, as the Piettas were generally a good bit less expensive, but the difference is so small anymore, that there is no reason to choose because of price only. The Uberti guns are worth a little more IMHO.

Regards, and good luck on your purchase,
WV_Hillbilly

Cimarron or Taylors...for Uberti are two. Taylors carry both. I'd go Euroarms myself for a $190 or Cabelas Pietta for $179.99 they are more accurate, tighter bore and chamber dimensions and made as well lately if not better than some Uberti's 1858's. I have all three and like all three differantly... matter of personal chaoice and $.

Back