• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1853 Enfield Q's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Lee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at a rusty, pitted old 1853 Enfield ('63 build) that may or may not be Southern-destined - don't see an anchor stamp, but the 25's are there.

At $275, is this "high end" for a borderline shooter/wall hanger?

Lock functions, bore is clear with almost no rifling, you can see the butt stock wood has been water damaged.

What say ye?

thank! Adam

Enfield

junkman_01 said:
After seeing those pics, I would pass on it.

Thanks for the feedback - I wanted to get some persuasion, one way or the other!

I think I will wait to find one with less external corrosion - regardless of price.

Adam

About the comment "almost no rifling"

Enfield used what they called Progressive Rifling. The grooves are deeper at the breech tapering to almost nothing at the muzzle. How this was done is a mystery to me, but it means that even a good specimen looks like it has "almost no rifling". If you find one in better condition don't turn it down just for that reason.

Back