• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 bison revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegukeeper

Pilgrim
Reaction score
i have an 1858 bison revolver for those of yall that dont know about this pistol it's a 6 shot with a 12 inch barrel ive been plinking around with it sience i got it a couple of months ago i been using 30 grains of powder and a 44 cal round ball i plan on using it this season seeings how my wife has fallen in love with my 50 cal hawkins this will be the first time ive hunted with a cap and ball pistol if there is anyone that hunts with a simialer pistol any tips would be greatly apprecated

Better check your regs. BP pistols are not legal to hunt with here in NC.

I can only speculate, but that will be based on taking a bunch of deer using a wide range of cartridge handguns, plus doing a fair bit of plinking with my own 44 cal BP revolver (7" barrel as I recall).

I've taken deer with cartridges as light as 38 Special, 9mm, 357, 44 Special and 45 LC. For the first two, I kept shots inside about 35 yards, while the latter I reached as far as 50 yards. All worked fine, but I am REALLY careful about shot placement with all handguns.

Using yours, I'd forego roundballs and stick to conicals based upon published ballistics and what I've seen with my own. Then I'd probably hold the shots to 35 yards, provided you can shoot it really well at that range. I'm talking about 3-4" groups without any fliers.

If any of that doesn't work for you, I'd be looking to swap the handgun in on a rifle.

here in tennessee hunting with pistols is legal.I know several people that use revolvers but im the only one with a black powder one as far as shot placement with this pistol it keeps a tight shot pattern at 40 yards but most the me and my wife have took with our black powder rifles and the 30-30 win are 30 yards or closer so im gonna give my pistol a try this year thanks for the replys

Sounds to me like a workable setup. Have you tried conicals? I'd sure have more faith in them, but at 30 yards it probably reflects my perjudice more than any real need.

Keep us posted! Be careful though---- Handgun hunting is really addictive, and I'd still be doing it if my old eyes allowed. You can't believe how nice it is to holster that gun once you deer is down and it's time to drag it out. Beats the heck out of packing a rifle while you're doing it, even with a sling.

Back