• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Remington New Army .44 Revolver Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk434

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got my first Muzzleloading revolver today. It is an 1858 Remington New Army .44 Revolver. Can I use Pyrodex with this revolver? I noticed that on the side of the barrel, it says "Black Powder Only." However, I thought that either one could be used, and in the instruction pamphlet that came with the gun, it said that I could use either black powder or Pyrodex safely. It does not make much sense. Also, about how many grains of FFFG powder would it take? I am new to these revolvers, so any help and info. would be greatly appreciated. Also, Thanks.

Pyrodex P. or FFFg black powder will work fine, use in between 15 gr. and 25 gr. (by volume), with a .454 or .457 ball and make sure that you seal each chamber, either with a wonder wad under the ball or Crisco greases over the top.

Is it nesecarry to use cornmeal or malt-o-meal between the powder and the ball in order to make sure there is no gap between them?

Is it nesecarry to use cornmeal or malt-o-meal between the powder and the ball in order to make sure there is no gap between them?

Stay above 15 gr. and you won

Your '58 can acvcomodate 30 grains of 3fg or Pyrodex "P" with ease. You don't need a filler. Use a wonder wad twist powder and ball if you want. The idea is to seat the ball agaisnt the powder/wad so the top of the greased ball just fits flush with the cylinders. Accuracy in my two are good, often giving 2" oe better groups at 25 yards, usually best wiht Elephant 3fg.

Yes, you can use Pyrodex P instead of black powder. 100 grains volume of FFFg will equal 100 grains WEIGHT, but 100 grains Pyrodex P will equal 70 grains WEIGHT, WITH THE SAME POWER AS BLACK POWDER. That means 1lb Pyrodex gives you 30% more shots than black. Besides, I can get Pyrodex for $13.00, black not under $20.00.

Just always use x grains VOLUME, NEVER WEIGHT A CHARGE ON A SCALE!

I only use a Wonder Wad between powder and ball, because grease over the ball is a total mess in our temperatures up to 110 degrees F.

You'll find out, that black powder stuff is quiet addictive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the info. guys
I am somewhat familiar with muzzleloaders as a have a single shot .50 Kentucky Percussion. It is loads of fun to shoot and it is very accurate. I cant wait to shoot my revolver now.

Back