• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiehlroy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm about to buy my first cap & ball pistol, an Uberti 1858 Remington New Army .44 and I have a few questions.

What size nipple wrench do Uberti 1858's take?

What size nipples do I need to get for it?

Whats better for an .44 Uberti: .451 or .454?

Thanks guys.

well, first, standard pistol nipple wrench from any manufacturer will fit. Second, the revolver will come with nipples so it might be a little early to think about new ones and third, I use the .451 in mine and they work just fine. You will enjoy this revolver. They are great shooters. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a smart a**. If you go the October country web site, for instance, you will find item # 48-1260 which is a nipple wrench that will fit the Remington and it comes with a pick, $6.99, also item # 11-50-57, nipples for the Remington, $2.50 each. There are other sites like Track of the Wolf with the same items, some prices higher or lower, just depends how much net surfing you want to do. :winking:

I got mine about 4 months ago and it used #10 caps but I changed the nipples out with my Uberti Colt so that it now shoots #11 caps, I have more #11 caps and I shoot my 1858 more.
I use .454 rbs' which gives a little ring of lead when loaded. I used .451 but my accuracy was not as consistant as with the .454 ball.
I did run in to some problems with getting new nipples. I went to Cabela's and bought a nipple wrench/6 set of nipples combo and the nipples did not work. It said on the box for 1858 remmington and 1860 colt but Cabela's sells Pietta brand revovlers. I measured the the thread dia. and it mic'd at .225 while the nipples for the 1858 and colt mic'd at .200. I think the type of nipple is 12-28 for the 1858, but I will be verifing it soon. Hope it helps, :hatsoff:.

It's a great gun and I just think mine has one of the best triggers I have had the pleasure to squeeze. The nipples were a bit too large for #11's on my gun---so I used my Unimat lathe---chucked the nipples in the lathe and with a fine file I turned down the overall diameter of the nipples a skosh---until the #11 caps fit with relative ease. Other than that I think the gun is beautifully made, without any issues, other than the nipples, shoots accurately---definitely a keeper. :m2c:

The Uberti Remington is a very good revolver for the money. I second the comment about the trigger pull, mine is very smooth as well. Caps - I use RWS 1075's work great, just right in size. DGW says that #11's are what should be used, but CCI 11's are just a little too loose for my liking. One thing I have not found for the Remington is a decent capper that fits it. The Ted Cash that I have is too big to get a cap onto the nipple. I have an in-line sytle capper, it works sometimes but, many of the caps fly off as you pull the capper away. I end up most of the time putting caps on with my fingers - very slow. Ball size - .454 is what is recommended, and they work very well. I have shot .457's through it also with the same performance, just shave a little more lead on seating. I would probably shy away from the .451's they just might be a little too skinny - wouldn't want to risk a chain fire event due to a small or loose ball in the cylinder. Powder charge - 35 or maybe 37 gr. is the max. you can stuff in there, with a felt wad, and still seat the ball. Like all of the revolvers, the closer the ball is to the top of the cylinder when seated, the better the accuracy will be. Whether you use filler or full powder load, get the ball up as high as you can when loading. Out of the box, mine shot about 4 inches left at 25 yrds. The front sight is dovetailed and I was able to knock it over just enough to bring the POA in line. Consistently putting 12 rounds in 4" cicle now with the thing. Like a said, a very good revolver for the money.

My Uberti is exactly the same. The CCI #11's are too loose and the #10's too tight.

I have been using the .457" balls on top of 30 gr of FFFG and covered with my homemade bore butter.

Back