• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1864-made Remington 1858 New Army- will an Uberti Cylinder work with it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bczrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 1864-made Remington 1858 New Army with nipple problems. Does anyone know of another company's 1858 cylinder that will align properly in the original Remingtons?

I have tried to measure a Pietta and Uberti 1858 cylinder for comparisons, and found info that makes me not think Pietta would be a good option. What about Uberti. Has anyone used one in the original Remington 1858 with positive outcomes?

The Pietta was too long to fit in the Remington frame, and the cylinder measured something like 1.59" wide while the Uberti measured something like 1.62" wide and my Remington measured something like 1.63" wide. Yet my preliminary measurements also indicated that the Uberti had a thinner chamber [measured to outside of cylinder] by about .004-.005". That indicated to me that the Remington cylinders were thicker walled, but the chambers are probably at the same spot.

The Uberti fits into the frame and rotates. In using a light down the barrel it appears that the cylinder chambers are aligned right/left wise. It also seems the cylinder chamber mouth is relatively centered top/bottom to the bore. I can see a dark ring at the end of the barrel that would indicate I am seeing the face of the cylinder centered on the bore.

However, before I actually tried firing anything I thought I'd ask the collective if anyone else here had tried this.

On the same topic [using Uberti Cylinder in Remington], would I be right that the Uberti would have better tempering to handle chamber pressures, as it is newer metallurgical processes?

IF the Uberti cylinder works and is safer for modern pressures, I might use it for occasional shooting of the Remington and save the Remington cylinder for collector status.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

I shoot original 58 Remingtons & Uberti cylinders & will fit & index properly.
The bores on original Remington barrels tend to require .457 balls so will likely need to hone & increase the front third of the Uberti cylinder chambers so the ball or bullets will fit & engage rifling properly.
Uberti internal parts are also compatible with just minor fitting.

I shoot original 58 Remingtons & Uberti cylinders & will fit & index properly.
The bores on original Remington barrels tend to require .457 balls so will likely need to hone & increase the front third of the Uberti cylinder chambers so the ball or bullets will fit & engage rifling properly.
Uberti internal parts are also compatible with just minor fitting.

ALWAYS REMOVE & REPLACE ORIGINAL NIPPLES BEFORE FIRING ORIGINAL FIREARMS !
The vents on original nipples have often become eroded to large unsafe dimensions to point firing can blow hammer back & damage the pistol.

Neglected to mention above that Treso makes replacement nipples that are perfect fit & length for original Remington & Colt revolvers.
*It's common for original nipples to be very difficult to remove.
The method that works for me is soaking the cylinder for 24 hours in a 50/50 mixture of acetone & automatic transmission or brake fluid.

Soaking the frame & barrel of original C&B revolvers in this same solution also makes removal of screws easier & avoids damaging the slots.

Latest posts

Back