• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

19 Dec 09 Swan Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a morning, 20+ MPH wind, raining sideways and out Swan hunting with my son. But it was all good, My son got the first swan with a modern 12ga autoloader, and about an hour and a half later I got a nice mature Tundra Swan with my Cabelas (Pedersoli) double 12ga. again my load was 60gr 777 and a 1 1/4oz #4 ITX shot. The shot was right close to 30 yards and broke its right wing and right leg. That was allot of fun. The bird is at the taxidermist right now to get mounted. I have a picture if someone could post it for me?

Sounds like you and your son had a great day. Good memories. :thumbsup:
It's illegal to shoot swans here. I always thought they should sell permits. Even a one-time-only permit. Pelicans too. (I hear neither one is very good eatin' :idunno: )

A swan would make a cool mount, but, uhhh, them things are HUGE! :slap:
Where you gonna put it? :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Posting pics is easy. Just sign up for a free account at Photobucket.com and upload your pic there. If you can e-mail 'em, you can do that. Then you can post them here. :thumbsup:
Try it out. If you can't figger it out from there PT me and I'll help.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, then there is the old joke about the guy shooting swans, who told the game officer that they taste like a cross between a Whooping Crane, and a California Condor! :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :nono: :idunno: :thumbsup:

Now that is funny.

Swan actually taste real good, had Swan for the first time last year for Christmas. tender and sweet.

Here are a couple pics of the birds. I am on the left with the muddy, bloody bird and that is my son on the right, my my Lab Max in the middle. Heck he did all the heavy work.
19Dec09SwanHunt.jpg

BlackPowderSwan.jpg

We have mute swans in southern New England and it appears they are breeding more and more. I agree with others, we need a season on them. I would say two birds a year to start. After all they are not native. They are actually feral birds.

bigbore442001 said:
We have mute swans in southern New England and it appears they are breeding more and more. I agree with others, we need a season on them. I would say two birds a year to start. After all they are not native. They are actually feral birds.

For years we had a swan hunt here every spring, find egg shake like hell, put back in nest. Then under pressure DEM gave that hunt up.

dgold said:
What do swans taste like? Looks like a big meal for the family.

Now I was only told this, :shocked2: but those that come from salt water aren't that great.

I've only eaten tundra swan, but they're actually quite good. Kind of like a milder version of goose and not so fat. Cooked medium rare, it's very mild and sweet. They're feeding on plants and not bugs or fish, so the meat is even paler than honker, along the lines of domestic duck.

Gotta say though that the bones on them are massive. You'd think you'd get a lot of meat, but the breast fillets are less than half as thick as what you think they'd be on such a big bird. A mile long, but thin. A mature swan is only likely to give you half the meat you get from a mature honker.

Taxidermy is a great idea, but if you can manage it, get the carcass back and give it a try. We're partial to it.

If you soak birds in cold water with some vinegar added to draw out the blood, you can pull a lot of that salt out of the meat along with the blood. Change the water at least twice, and then soak it in clean water without additives, to pull out the vinegar. The soaking in clean water should be as long as you soaked the bird in the water with vinegar, as you are trying to reverse the process.

All the water will be blood red when you empty the sink, but the meat will become a little " pinker", like meat bought at the grocery store. The cold water keeps the meat from spoiling during the process.

Always taste meat before you begin cooking. If the meat still tastes "salty" then don't add more salt in the cooking. Most of the salt will be in the skin, and fatty tissues. Remove those before serving. Use fruit to sweeten the meat as it cooks, by placing favorite fruits in the stuffing. If you bone the meat before cooking, then wrap the meat up in aluminum foil, and put your favorite fruit, or fruit juices in the packet. I often cook goose this way, using Green Bell Pepper( sweet), white onion(sweet), apple slices, and even apple juice to sweeten the meat, and make a dynamite gravy. Raisins, cranberries, even dates can be used to flavor the meat, along with orange, lemon, and pineapple. ( not all at once, please!) :thumbsup:

Back