• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st flintlock deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:grin: I got my first flintlock deer today. 62 cal. Lehman .610 roundball, 80 grains 2f, 40 yards. Went in left side just behind the shoulder, no exit hole that I can see. I was surprised, the deer went down immeadiatly, got up and ran 60 yards or so. broke one rib going in on the left, and broke the right shoulder. I'm hopeing the ball is still in the shoulder and I find it. I would have thought the ball would have passed through. It was a doe about 90#

Congratulations on your deer!

80gr is a light charge for a 62cal, and likely less than 1400fps. The mass of the 340gr PRB is what did the job.

Rifled? Twist?

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing that story; I admit I am surprised to hear about the deer running like that. This especially since you broke the shoulder. I am considering either a .58 or .62 flintlock for myself. I have always used a .50 or a .53 percussion cap but found a builder who I like and and going to get a rifle built.

It is a 1-60 twist, I bought it used at a show 2 years ago. L&R lock and triggers, Sharon barrel, coned. Using a .610 ball, .015 patch, lubed with crisco.

Of the four deer I have shot, the two that I broke the shoulder on both went 50 yards. Of the two that went down and stayed down, one was shot through the big blood vessels in the neck and throught the windpipe, the other was a front end spinal hit and paralyzed three legs. The last mentioned required a second shot for the kill.
volatpluvia

The soft lead ball is an amazing projectile. I have seen Big Bull Bison drop with one shot from a Green River .54 Cal. Rifle. :thumbsup:

Congrtulations! The first deer I harvested with a flinter also ran 50 or 60 yards and through some heavy cover. I sent a .49 patched round ball backed by 70 grains of Goex 2FG through him and it did exit the other side. I am glad I found him. Good eatin'.

Stubert said:
:grin: I got my first flintlock deer today.

Congratulations...you've heard of "hooked on phonics"...well, I predict you are now officially hooked on Flintlocks !!

:hatsoff:

That is interesting as the last doe I shot I hit the shoulder, windpipe, and carotids and she went down and stayed down. That said I still go for the front shoulder versus, say, a neck shot. It seems to me that the beauty of a patched ball muzzleloader is that it just doesn't tear up as much meat while dropping game on the spot more effectively. I have seen deer hit with centerfire rifle that have had a two fist size hole in them and still run for 30-50 yards before piling up.

I skinned her out last night and I did find an exit wound, No blood at all at the exit, but the hole through the shoulder was close to 1.5" I am going to lose about half the shoulder, I think mabey a 340 grain ball is to much for a 90# deer. A good reason to get another flinter.

I don't know why you would lose "1/2" a shoulder. Just cut around the exit wound. Then when you bone out the meat, remove the sinew and white tissue that connects the muscles, and wash and rub out the congealed blood under them. Soak the meat in cold water with some salt in it to draw out more blood. Change the water, and salt a couple of times over several hours. The meat will turn a more pink color like you see with pork you buy at the grocery store, rather than the dark purple you see in venison. Removing the blood helps the flavor of the meat.

I cut the smaller muscles in the forelegs into one inch chunks, to use for stews, or chili.

I do cut away all the white tissues, however, as they contain enzymes not present in beef, that will toughen the venison, even during freezer storage, and also make the meat bitter tasting. Its a bit of work, but with sharp knives, it goes fairly fast. The meat left over is going to be tender, and taste very good. I have had many people ask me what meat I put in my chili, or in my Stroganoff, and were surprised that venison could taste so good, much less be so tender. Unless I feel bits of lead in the meat I cut away from the primary wound channel, I throw it in to my scrap bowl, and grind it up for venison burger, which I use to make Sausage, instead. See my sausage recipe on this forum, down towards the bottom of the index page. If there are bits of lead, I toss the meat away. :surrender: :hmm:

:thumbsup: Attaboy an Congrats! :hatsoff:

don't know how things is around you, but near me pickins is real slim! used a.600 on my doe too, flew on thru and she only went bout 50-60 ft..lungs..still tryin fer another..but damn :shocked2: it's cold...and sparsness of deer don't warm ya up much... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
At the club I belong to, The guys are saying it's the worst year ever. I'm in Dutchess county, there were only 5 deer posted on the buck pool at the club on Sunday.

I will be cutting her up tonight, I'll try your way. It looks bad though, the ball shattered the shoulder. Lots of sausage this year.

I have a friend in poughkeepsie, he seen 16 deer all year,bow & gun seasons....one buck...worst season he's ever seen...actually anyone I've talked to anywhere, says sightings are way off....what scares me is lack of tracks/sign,,,I know where they usually are an where they go to yard,,it is shocking to see the lack of deer sign all over!

Back