• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st groundhog with 32 flinter !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i had just got back form my first trail shoot at my local muzzleloading club shoot in ashland ohio. i hadnt used my 32 finter for quite some time and i was pretty rusty. but i managed to hit half of the metal targets that we could tell.( a little pea sized 32 ball doesnt move the metal targets very well) so sense the gun was dirty i decided to take it out and see if i could find a hog.i was wearing my period clothing and moccisions, which are very good for stalking. i found one lying in the middle of an opening sunning itself. i crawled in a ditch full of water to get in range of the hog. finally at about 40 yards i leaned against a tree and got ready. but the hog started moving away and by the time i had a shot at its head/neck area it was around 65 yards away. i aimed at the base of its head and shot. the hog crumpled up and started pushing its nose into its side, showing that i had hit it a little further back, in the chest area. then the hog got up and ran to its hole :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: i felt bad about not getting a clean kill,even though there is no doubt the shot killed the hog. But i dont count wounded hog that get in the hole as kills, so it didnt count. i decided to cut my loses and move to a different area. i was sneeking down a deer trail when i saw an uprooted stump with some groundhog holes in the bases. i looked closely and saw that some of the dirt was a couple shades darker then the rest. i watched and saw the dirt clump twitch when a fly landed on it. then i saw a black beady eye. it was a hog sitting there at the entrence of a hole. i quietly set the trigger, cocked the hammer, put my sight a little under the eye and shot. the hog crumpled dead. the shot was around 20 yards and im pretty sure the hog never saw me either. i felt just like an Indian sneeking through the woods. i walked up to the hog to see where i hit it. i had hit it right in the neck which killed it instantly. it was a medium sized male woods groundhog. it wasnt as plump and fat as the grass fed field groundhogs are. i was impressed at the damaged the small 32 ball did. the entrence and exit were around .40 size.my load was 30 grains FFF, and a .311 cast round ball. i had fun shooting the hog with the 32 and it definetly wont be the last i shoot with it. enjoy SS.
05150017231.jpg

0515001723a1.jpg

nice shot there SS ...aim small miss small brother...

:thumbsup:

:applause: Great story and pics, thanks for sharing your hunt and keep at it.

:hatsoff:
Spot

For the first hog, maybe you could have put your patch puller on your ramrod, twisted it around in the hole, and dragged the little beasty back out. Or maybe a big "patch puller" on a handy tree branch. Either way, have your knife handy in case he still has some fight left in him.

Good job SS since G-hogs can't dial 911 it would be safe to call it a kill. Prob died quick. I had one whistle at me yesterday. First time in 20 or 30 years. Larry

Nice shootin! Did ya eat em? They're pretty tasty, like squirrel but milder flavor. I posted a recipe on this forum. Look for whistle pig pot pie.

Don :thumbsup:

Don said:
They're pretty tasty, like squirrel but milder flavor. I posted a recipe on this forum. Look for whistle pig pot pie.
Must be more than a year ago - search can't find it. Could you post a link to it, or maybe repost?

Thanks,
Joel

Don said:
Nice shootin! Did ya eat em? They're pretty tasty, like squirrel but milder flavor. I posted a recipe on this forum. Look for whistle pig pot pie.

Don :thumbsup:

I never tryed whistle pig pot pie.Sounds pretty good.Last year I put two groundhog in the crock pot,or slow cooker with some potatos and veggies,spices.One time a old one and one time a young one.They both came out tender and pretty good.You just gotta make sure you get the scent glans off.(I think there`s 6 of them)And It`ll come out great.

Groundhog, or " woodchuck" gets its name from the fact its meat is pale, and tastes like Pork. It makes excellent sausage.

The Marmot, or " Whistle Pig", is a cousin to the Groundhog, and is just as tasty. While the woodchuck and groundhog live on rolling fields, and along the edges of forests, the Whistle pig lives high up on mountain slopes, denning in rock caves on the slopes. Its main predator includes Golden Eagles, Hawks, coyote, and occasionally a bear or fox( omnivores).

You will find a sausage recipe on this forum that is easy to make, without the use or need of a sausage press, or pig intestines. You can change the flavor of the (summer)sausage made by changing the seasonings listed.

Back