• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Model Bessies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes1761

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to aquire a 1st model, was hoping for sugestions on:

Loyalist, Middlesex, or Discriminating General?

Nose cap or no nose cap?

I do 42nd Highlander and have been leaning towards the Discriminating Generals 1742 pattern. Thoughts or concerns on this particular weapon welcome!! Any body got one or handled one? Thanks~!!

I saw a general bess at loudon where they bought some and I wasn't especially impressed. They were very bulky and heavy.I saw a comparison on this board I think by a unit comparing an old bess and a new one but don't remember when or where.
Tom Patton

I've handled a few of these"Indian" made guns and they are awfull. The ones I've seen are so bulky there's enough wood for two guns....well almost. :haha: The metal is over polished in my opinion too. They sure don't look like the old guns at any rate. :shake:
There are parts available out there and people IN THIS COUNTRY that know how to put them together correctly.

Mike,

How much would you sell one for? I see that you are in the business of making and selling guns.

Mike,

How much would you sell one for? I see that you are in the business of making and selling guns.
"If" you can get the parts from the rifle shoppe including an assembled lock, and furnish me the barrel and english walnut stock blank, You're looking at around $1200 to $1400 in labor. I think track of the wolf advertises these parts too, but I don't no if they are actually in stock.

Les

You mentioned in one of the old posts you need a swivel gun, My dad has one, monkey tailed and UN-bored. I think he was still wanting to part with her.

I have one of the Loyalist Arms First Model Long Land Pattern. I will affirm that it is heavy and needs considerable work on the stock to look more like a musket than as solid and clunky as a wall gun. I have som work to do. The gun does shoot well even though I feel the touch is too low in the pan. It must be the large pan and the fact that I roll the gun to the right to move powder away from the vent. My Loyalist Arms guns is not highly polished, its more of a shined matt finish. I have no regrets that I bought the gun.

Wes, we need to look one another up at the November Woodswalk at Fort de Chartres.

Back