• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st time out with a new Howdah Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As we continue to have unbelievably nice weather in the northlands, I got yet another weekend to play with black powder. Had the Lymans Plains Pistol and a Remy 1858 repro out for their paces, 20 rounds on the former, and 24 on the latter (fouling usually stars to be an issue on the fourth cylinder). Even got the wife to try a few shots on the Lymans (she is deadeye with a 22 Neos, but very recoil sensitive). Gave a couple of guys their first BP shots, and the grins could not have been bigger.

The real fun for me was playing with a new 'Howdah Hunter' double barrel 20 gauge percussion pistol. It is a beast in weight, but that just served to soak up the recoil. Was shooting offhand to get a feel. I didn't have the proper size lead, so I used .58 cal (actually .57) with .015 inch patches. Pretty loose, but it shot. It was an absolute hoot. Only threw a dozen rounds downrange, but it was fun. Have to order some .615 ball from Track of the Wolf to give it a real work out.

Not good for much, but it was a blast!

When you get the proper size balls be sure and give us a full range report. I've been thinking of one as a companion for my smoothbore when in bear country.

bpd303 said:
They are very good for when the tiger is climbing up the backside of your elephant. :grin:
With my luck, the elephant would notice the tiger, wrap its trunk around my body and proceed to beat the tiger to death using me as the club. :shocked2:

I think I'll avoid tigers and elephants and Howdah pistols and save myself a lot of grief.

Well..... The pistol might be fun but not clobbering a tiger with me. :hmm:

Try Ballistol on the cylinder pin. I can keep shooting when it's sprayed (aerosol version) well every now and then along with a little wipe. No serious cleaning as I had to do beforehand which was about every third cylinder full.

Jealousy is my name...

I want one of those for the house. Living in the forest calls for firepower on hand on occasion. Mainly due to wild critters.
One of them howdah pistols would clear the deck fast.
You even have the caliber I want.
*sigh*

I think a blunderbus would be a lot of fun and they are pretty.....at least to me. The down side is that you have only one shot rather than two with which to dissuade the scum bag. But, they cover a large area with whatever you choose to put in them. Still, I must admit

Howda pistols
are a lot of fun
You get two shots
not of just one.

The roar, the smoke
the flash and flame
Stopping the bad guy
that's the blunderbus' game.

They scatter shot
From ceiling to wall
and leave dead scum bags
out in the hall

Thank ya! Thank ya kindly! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. :thumbsup: :haha:

I love this one, they stuffed a whole elephant :shocked2:
pestcontrol.jpg

Well, all y'all beat me to any elephant jokes... I will stop back with a range report, but I am not certain I'll get back out before the weather turns. I did buy some #4 and 00 buck to screw around with some shot loads, and will certainly try some different ball/patch combos.

Thank you for the suggestion on the revolver, I will give it a try.

I should have noted using 30 grains FFFG loads. The Pedersoli manual notes 28gr-30gr maximum, which really seems weak to me. Recoil was very pleasant at 30gr. The barrel wall is not overly thick, about like a modern shotgun.

I am not a max load guy, partly due to arthritis, party due to being cheap, and a lot to do with using thin paper for targets. :wink: I am guessing one could put a fairly stout load in this thing, if you do have any tigers hunting in your neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back