• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 part question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
YOU are hunting in the slush (rain snow combo). YOU are sitting in your stand do you have a musket cap in place to be able to "shoot faster" or do you keep the cap in a dry place untill its action time?

What type of container do YOU use to keep caps dry in the field and would it be logical it put salt in that containrt to keep moisture wicked away?

Please and Thank You.

Cap on with a cows knee.

Store other caps in a container WITHOUT salt in a shirt pocket or in the bag. The container that caps come in seem to work just fine for storage.

While hunting, I always have the cap in place. In bad weather I will either have a cow's knee covering the lock, or I will have the lock protected under my arm, or if sitting, I will tuck the lock under the edge of my coat. Of course, I will be keeping the muzzle tilted down to prevent water running down the bore.
I just keep my caps in a "capper" in my shooting bag (possibles bag). I made my own leather shooting bag and cow's knee, and made them water resistant with plenty of neatsfoot oil.

I just keep a cap on what ever the weather. I have smeared some of my olive oil/beeswax on them whilst on the nipple.
But I am ignorant as to what a cows knee looks like apart from a milker that is. Has any body got a photo of one handy or can you direct me to a photo?
Thanks, Britsmoothy

I always keep a gun capped or primed in wet weather and protect it,I think it is easier to keep it dry than to try and keep it dry while getting reday for a shot, I would not use salt it is very hydroscopic, when I fleshed and salted hides in the past stuff would rust on the other side of the shop from the salt, it draws a lot of moisture.

Have hunted elk in the rain for 6 days w/o any cap "protection" a few times and when needed, the gun fired. If the cap fits the nipple, how can water penetrate? A flintlock needs "protection" and I use a "calves knee" because no flintlock is water tight......Fred

Capped, covered. Spare caps in a hunting bag in a capper (Under a outer coat layer if it is raining). I too use a cow's knee of waxed leather.

HPIM0381.jpg

HPIM0380.jpg

Salt attracts moisture and may be counterproductive. I just keep them dry as I can.

Definitely keep a cap in place. That is what is keeping the rain out of the nipple.
If it worries you, put some wax, or even fingernail polish, around the base of the cap to seal it better. I just tuck the lock under my coat.

I keep a capper on a thong around my neck tucked into the outer layer of my clothing. A few extra caps are in the tin they came in, in my bag or pocket.
I would say no salt. Salt might help to dry them out after they got wet tho... cover the wet caps with dry salt and wait a while... might work. :hmm:

Instead of salt, use rice. It draws moisture out without 'attracting' it like salt does. Plus if you notice that the rice isn't dry anymore, you know you have a leak in whatever container you happen to be using. :thumbsup:

flyfisher76544 said:
Instead of salt, use rice. It draws moisture out without 'attracting' it like salt does. Plus if you notice that the rice isn't dry anymore, you know you have a leak in whatever container you happen to be using. :thumbsup:

oooooh LIKE that one :wink: Thank YOU!!

Thanx ALL!!

Hey?! Doesn't everyone put rice in their salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping, anyway? I have been doing that for years!

Definitely use rice before considering salt as a moisture absorbent. :hatsoff:

I've hunted a good number of years in all kinds of weather from Ice storms,Heavy Rain,Thick Humid fog,snowstorms and have never had any protection on my caps and they always fire.Having said that all my caps fit tightly and I can't see how any rain or moisture could penetrate them.Maybe if you cap sat loosly on the nipple I might worry.I have a friend that fell out of his canoe with his caplock in shallow water once while we was hunting and it completely submerged the gun but only for a few seconds and it fired reliably afterward.That was good enough proof for me.Spare caps I keep in an Inline capper(You know,all the caps in a straight line)on a lanyard under my coat.They are safe there so far.

cap fits tight on the nipple of my gun, and i have a shortened 9mm empty case over it for safety, never had any poroblems firing it on a rainy or snow/rain days.

Back