• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 gauge BP effective Turkey range ...??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your effective Turkey hunting range on your 20 Gauge BP smooth bore ??? Thanks. I'm using 1 1/8 oz, of # 6

I'm sure a lot depends on the individual guns and the techniques used while loading, as well as chokes or not. So far with my cylinder bore .62's 25 yards is about it for consistent kills with an ounce of 6's. Time on paper will give you your answer.

Here's my 25 yard pattern.... 1 1/8 oz.(vol) of #6 shot / ff powder. This was Left barrel (.615) Right barrel is (.625) Pattern was just a few less pellets.

DSC09402.jpg

Yes, 22-25yds is pretty standard max range for a small turkey head size target with a cylinder bore.
You can tinker around with different shot sizes to fill in a pattern better, but remember its always a balancing act between pattern density and then enough pellet weight/energy for penetration at a given distance...range time is very helpful figuring out what works best in a given smoothbore ML.

Naturally, you could fill in a pattern better out to a longer distances using #8 or #9s...but they'd never penetrate a turkey's neck vertebrae or skull at longer distances as they have so little weight/energy that far away.

Assuming a .20ga in good condition, 1+5/8oz #6s ahead of 70-80grns Goex is a good proven .20ga turkey load...long shot strings are a benefit with small stationary targets.

And while this tuna can was shot at 40yds using a Jug Choked barrel, it never-the-less shows the penetration capability of a #6 pellet pushed by 80grns Goex 3F.

040607-16No.jpg

recently took a good bird with 1 7/8 ounces of 4,5,7.5 shot mixed, over 80gr of Ffg goex.I used paper cartridges ala OHIO RAMROD.Shot him @ 25yrds measured.The mixture gave me good dense patterns and I had it left over from some previous shot shell reloading years ago.Got the idea from rmington Duplex loads I used several years ago duck hunting

Back