• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, I’m wondering if this is a perceived thing or a specific loading difference? With my Crocket rifle and the powder charge I use (20 grains) I consider the sound on the shot to be fairly close to a .22LR (perhaps a little more) but a deeper sound. It actually has a little bit of a crack sound to it. The damage to a squirrel appears to be very close to that of a .22LR as well.

Whenever I increased the charge to 30 grains, there was a definite difference in sound. Not only the increased level, but the tone of the sound as well. There is still a slight crack sound there but not all that much. Both in total noise level and damage done to squirrels is somewhat close to that of my .22 WM. However, the sound is deeper.

In the woods while shooting at a squirrel, the level of noise nor the depth of such is nowhere near that of my 12 GA. However, those loads are hotter than a house of ill repute on $5.00 night.

Often times my neighbors do not hear me shoot my Crockett but they definitely hear it whenever I shoot my 12 GA. They have no problems telling me so. 😁
When is $5 dollar nite again? Asking for a friend 🤣

I’m jealous of you guys who get longer seasons. In NY, we can hunt squirrels from September 1 to February 28. That sounds like a long season, but our various deer seasons run from mid-September to New Years in some areas, so it doesn’t leave much time for dedicated bushy tail hunting if you are also a die hard deer hunter.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be on the lookout for a Traditions Crockett or T/C Cherokee or Seneca.

But, question.....if one were to contract a gunmaker to build you a rifle, knowing you have three .50cal guns already, and you wanted said gun(a flintlock) for 1) small game hunting, 2) target shooting fun, and 3) max versatility with readily available load components, what caliber would YOU want?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be on the lookout for a Traditions Crockett or T/C Cherokee or Seneca.

But, question.....if one were to contract a gunmaker to build you a rifle, knowing you have three .50cal guns already, and you wanted said gun(a flintlock) for 1) small game hunting, 2) target shooting fun, and 3) max versatility with readily available load components, what caliber would YOU want?
I would go with a .36 caliber for your criteria. A little more versatile than a .32 caliber. However, I would get a Kibler kit. Send JimK on here a PM. He has a .36 Kibler SMR he put together and really likes it. Best bang for the buck and you don’t have to wait for a year to be shooting it.

Last edited:
I’m jealous of you guys who get longer seasons. In NY, we can hunt squirrels from September 1 to February 28. That sounds like a long season, but our various deer seasons run from mid-September to New Years in some areas, so it doesn’t leave much time for dedicated bushy tail hunting if you are also a die hard deer hunter.
I understand. When bow season opens I try to fill all of my tags early. That provides more squirrel hunting time.

I’d like to live in a state with year round squirrel season.

I agree with ETIPP on this one.
Assembling one of these kits is not hard at all, and very rewarding.
And a .36 Caliber would be a good choice.

You can do it!
Yes, Ed I can and will!!!😉
I've taken a good share of them with my SxS 12 ga Peperoni. Now it's all about a small caliber PRB. Im enjoying it very much.
I would also like to thank you for passing on your experience and give me some good tips and pointers about PRB hunting.

This will be the first year here in Florida, that squirrel is open year around, on lands outside of WMAs. It's has always opened the 2nd weekend of October and ran to the first weekend of March. It overlapped with the other seasons. I have a few acres that I have permission to hunt squirrel and hog only. The rest of my hunting is on WMAs, although I could hunt squirrel during muzzleloading season and general gun season, I don't, out of respect for other hunters hunting deer.
Small game season opens on most Of the WMAs in December and January. Although it doesn't seem right to hunt squirrel in July and August down here. I plan on taking full advantage of it.

Well fellas, I went out on another squirrel hunt this morning and I got the big O. I wanted to stay out and cover more ground by my darn knee had other ideas.

I saw about 6 squirrels and had two barking at me that I couldn't find. Saw two more on the narrow road on the way out. Its very tough hunting right now. Darn chicken squirrels would not come down from those trees and get on the ground like they should. Also, every squirrel I saw was another ghost squirrel.

Can't win them all I reckon. Oh well, at least I don't have to clean Mr. "C" and I don't have to clean any squirrels.

EDIT: While standing there next to a tree watching and listening, I absolutely heard a squirrel cutting something. Yes its early still, but there was no mistaking that sound, and it was close. There was a hickory tree about 15 yards away but due to the lower and thick smaller trees under the larger ones, there just wasn't much that could be seen. I do not know for sure what that squirrel was cutting on but it sounded just like when they cut on hickory nuts.

If this trend continues, I would not be surprised if the squirrels here will be tearing up the hickory trees by the middle of July. Fall season opens August 17th here in KY. I'm almost certain the spring breading has already occurred. Everything is early this year.

Last edited:
Chris, I’m wondering if this is a perceived thing or a specific loading difference? With my Crocket rifle and the powder charge I use (20 grains) I consider the sound on the shot to be fairly close to a .22LR (perhaps a little more) but a deeper sound. It actually has a little bit of a crack sound to it. The damage to a squirrel appears to be very close to that of a .22LR as well.

Whenever I increased the charge to 30 grains, there was a definite difference in sound. Not only the increased level, but the tone of the sound as well. There is still a slight crack sound there but not all that much. Both in total noise level and damage done to squirrels is somewhat close to that of my .22 WM. However, the sound is deeper.

In the woods while shooting at a squirrel, the level of noise nor the depth of such is nowhere near that of my 12 GA. However, those loads are hotter than a house of ill repute on $5.00 night.

Often times my neighbors do not hear me shoot my Crockett but they definitely hear it whenever I shoot my 12 GA. They have no problems telling me so. 😁
Ed, I don't think it is perceived. The .32 TC Cherokee is only a 24" barreled rifle, whereas your Crockett is 32" according to Tradition's website. That probably negates much of the KBOOM that the Cherokee emits. I, too, load 20 grains of fffg.

While looking up the specs before posting this I ran across some forum sites where Cherokee shooters also mentioned how loud their .32's with 10 and 20 grain charges are.

I've lost too much hearing over the years, but still noticed how strong the report was last time I was in the hardwoods shooting and missing the bushytails. And, as I recounted, they kept sticking around whilst I fumbled reloading only to miss again! Lol.

Keep at those tree top rodents with your slick lookn rifle. Much fun to be had.

Latest posts

Back