• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20ga SBS for turkey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinsroost

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedrisoli 20ga SBS bored IC & Mod. Would this be sufficient to harvest a turkey? I would load 1 1/4oz of #4 lead shot over an equal volume of FFFg. What would be my maximum effective range? robin

my experience says 25 yds is nearing max for a clean kill (but I shoot cyl/cyl). If they are coming in and you have decoy it should be doable, if they are not coming in 50-70 yards is lucky!

Deputy Dog said:
I have a Pedrisoli 20ga SBS bored IC & Mod. Would this be sufficient to harvest a turkey? I would load 1 1/4oz of #4 lead shot over an equal volume of FFFg. What would be my maximum effective range? robin

Yes it will work, don't use #4's. The use of #6's will give you a better pattern and will kill birds very dead out to 40 plus yards. I think with your gun you will have to stay with in like 30 yards so those 6's will work just fine. Fact is inside 30 yards 7.5's work pretty good to. If you hunt from a blind and have shoot stakes out so you know when the bird is within range you will do just fine.

I concur! Go with #6 I have killed many birds with my flintlock 20. Its more a matter of range. Get them in close and you won’t have any problems! That is what is fun about using a smoke pole, getting them so close the ground shakes when they Gobble!!! Any yahoo can get lucky and shoot one at 50+ yards. It takes skill to kill one at 10! It’s all I can do to keep from hyperventilating when they pass that 40 yard mark and keep on coming!!!

Like someone said stakes out by the deeks helps know when they are within range!

Pattern your gun and don't pull the trigger until the bird is within that pattern!!! Better to let him go off unscathed for you to have another shot at him than spraying him with pellets and hoping he flops. I have found many a dead tom that someone prayed and sprayed! We owe it to them to make a humane and quick kill!

I have never used a 20ga. but my granddad did and he killed a bunch of turkeys.

jrmflintlock said:
I concur! Go with #6 I have killed many birds with my flintlock 20. Its more a matter of range. Get them in close and you won’t have any problems! That is what is fun about using a smoke pole, getting them so close the ground shakes when they Gobble!!! Any yahoo can get lucky and shoot one at 50+ yards. It takes skill to kill one at 10! It’s all I can do to keep from hyperventilating when they pass that 40 yard mark and keep on coming!!!

Like someone said stakes out by the deeks helps know when they are within range!

Pattern your gun and don't pull the trigger until the bird is within that pattern!!! Better to let him go off unscathed for you to have another shot at him than spraying him with pellets and hoping he flops. I have found many a dead tom that someone prayed and sprayed! We owe it to them to make a humane and quick kill!

GREAT POST! :thumbsup:

Back