• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

21 minute season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longfowler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, I saw this CVA side by side 12 guage in the local gunshop...it was love at first sight! So I decided to cash in some of my coin collection, and shoot another blackpowder Bird. So after a couple of weekends of frantic pattering, I was ready - except for a Bird...A co-worker had been out on medical leave, so I haven't scouted much. 3 days before the season opens, he's back, so I can have the mornings off again, and I spot this beauty and his twin brother. So I set my alarm for 3:30 this morning and try to get some sleep....

I wake up and it's 4:45!!!!! What? I won't even have a parking space in the woods! It's a sunday opening day, everybody else must know about these 2 birds, & I'm sure I'm too late! So I don't even get a coffee, I blast out the door and drive like a mad man. I'm in the woods at 5:30, nobody is here, so I RUN to my spot - and 15 minutes later, as I'm setting out my decoy, I hear a distant gobble. So I call back. a few minutes later a distant gun shot. I call louder, and they gobble closer! 5 minutes, another call, this time they answer from only a 100 yards. I call and wait another 5 minutes, and there's nothing...I'm thinking about moving, when a double gobble booms out on the other side of the brushpile from my decoy, not 30 yards away!! A little soft yelp, and here comes a huge black tom, his beard swaying as he steps...but he goes to my right a little to far up the logging road. I try to move the gun to him, S-l-o-w-l-y, and just then, a BIGGER bird steps around the brushpile, stands right in front of me, and looks at the decoy!
I put the bead on the top of his head and let him have the right hand barrel, and jump up through the cloud of smoke to pin his head down- but I don't even need the 2nd shot. The load of 70 grains 1f with my home-made copy of Runnball's "cotton-tailed shotcup drouge", full of 1-3/4 oz. of #6 copper plated shot, worked great. I look at my watch and it's only 6:06 AM! I pace back to my tree, 13 giant steps, so accounting for my short legs, maybe ten yards...I took these pics right where he fell. And the wad was laying right behind him.
I was the first guy at the check station (right after I got my well deserved coffee) and he weighed in at 20 lbs, with a 9-3/4 inch beard and 13/16 spurs. When I skinned him, I found 15 pieces of shot in the head & neck, and none in the meat. This was my 14th bird, but only my 2nd blackpowder turkey - but I just found my good-luck gun, so there will be many more!

009.jpg

010a.jpg

014-1.jpg

Way to go Longfowler! That is TOTALLY AWESOME! :thumbsup: I really enjoyed the story from the late start to the quick climax. You had a very good day and I am happy for you! The smile on your mug says it all!!!!! Excellent. :applause: Skychief.

Hey Longfowler, is the cup paper or plastic? In the photo, it appears as though it is paper or a cardboard material. I ask because I might want to try that contraption but want to stay away from anything plastic. Thanks.
P.S.-again, good job on a great bird! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
the cup is a thin cardboard, a little heavier than index card thickness, wrapped around a 20 gauge card wad and secured with 3 - 4 strips of scotch tape. then I drilled a hole in the center and strung the cotton. I put as thick card wad down first to keep from burning the cotton parachute. aside from the powder smudge, this one is still in good enough shape to re-use!

longfowler said:
the cup is a thin cardboard, a little heavier than index card thickness, wrapped around a 20 gauge card wad and secured with 3 - 4 strips of scotch tape. then I drilled a hole in the center and strung the cotton. I put as thick card wad down first to keep from burning the cotton parachute. aside from the powder smudge, this one is still in good enough shape to re-use!

Could someone provide me the link to construct this thing? I can be a tad slow and need some step by step instructions.

Congratulations on the bird. Hunting turkey successfully in the New England states can be a great challenge. Not only do you have to contend with the wariness of the bird but the other hunters that find your spot, so to speak.

Grats! Well Done! :thumbsup:
You guys are killin me! :haha:
Been reading about everyone limiting out and the season here in Ct. didn't even open up yet. :youcrazy:

I can see why you fell in love with the gun. It looks real sharp. Some guns are lucky and it looks like you have a winner. Great pictures. thanks for sharing the story.

PJC

Latest posts

Back