• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

270g TC MaxiBall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know who carries them??? I can't seem to find them; I am only finding the 370g and the 320g.

I am in the process of working up a load for my TC WMC in .50. The two most promising ML bullets thus far are the 270g Buffalo Ballet and a 370g TC Maxiball and I sure don't need a 370g Maxiball to kill a deer. :grin:

PRB's are all over the map and patches are shredded. I will try an OP wad with the PRB's before I give up on them completely.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Poor accuracy w/PRB? Check the twist rate of the barrel (tight fitting patch on jag, masking tape on cleaning rod like a flag, push in or pull out until the flag makes a complete 360 degree revolution, measure distance, might need to do 180 degrees for shorter barrel, slower twist).

PRB twist usually 1/60 to 1/70+. Elongated projectiles like maxi ball, Lee's REAL, etc usually 1/30 or so. If fast twist, PRB not likely to get best accuracy.

Lee makes a 50cal REAL 250gr mold if you can cast your own.

All well & good, but the White Mountain Carbine in question is either 1:20 or 1:38, depending on year.

That'd explain the PRB issues.

I also tried the 275 Maxi Hunter in mine, after the 270 Maxiballs seemed to dry up. I couldn't comment on their accuracy, as I only got to try them at close range. I have no doubt that they'd do an excellent job on Whitetail though.

which is fine for conicals as well, even the 1:32 and 1:28 barrels will shoot patched balls pretty darn decently out to 100 yards.

All I know, is that in my WMC, a PRB will pretty much fly wherever in blue blazes it wants past 20yds, with any charge above about 20gn.
Honestly, the safest place to stand when I try a PRB is probably directly in front of the target! :rotf:

Ive used the 370 maxi in my renegade with great sucess both on paper and on deer . to much you seem to think ? dead is dead . it realy doesnt blow them to pieces . shot a big doe one time , the maxi first went through a wrist size sapling before it took her down clean .i dont think a hollow point or a prb would have done it .

Wet Willie said:
Poor accuracy w/PRB? Check the twist rate of the barrel (tight fitting patch on jag, masking tape on cleaning rod like a flag, push in or pull out until the flag makes a complete 360 degree revolution, measure distance, might need to do 180 degrees for shorter barrel, slower twist).

PRB twist usually 1/60 to 1/70+. Elongated projectiles like maxi ball, Lee's REAL, etc usually 1/30 or so. If fast twist, PRB not likely to get best accuracy.

Lee makes a 50cal REAL 250gr mold if you can cast your own.
robtattoo said:
All I know, is that in my WMC, a PRB will pretty much fly wherever in blue blazes it wants past 20yds, with any charge above about 20gn.
Honestly, the safest place to stand when I try a PRB is probably directly in front of the target! :rotf:

Same here. It s a pattern not a grouping. :rotf:

shovel said:
Ive used the 370 maxi in my renegade with great sucess both on paper and on deer . to much you seem to think ? dead is dead . it realy doesnt blow them to pieces . shot a big doe one time , the maxi first went through a wrist size sapling before it took her down clean .i dont think a hollow point or a prb would have done it .

I agree; dead is dead and it will certainly do the job. I would like to stay around 270g to flatten the trajectory.

Both the buffalo bullet and the Maxiball shot a ragged hole at 30 yards so they are the main contenders as I increase the yardage. I couldn't see the target (2" x 2" rectangle) well enough a 50 yards to get a consistent hold. I am off to the eye doctor next week for a check and if that doesn't do it I am going to print a bigger target for next time.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bob

Shredded patches!!!!reads alot like Stripping,to much powder,back it down and see what happens.. PRB is alot like a pitcher throwing a ball,,if he can get it to spin faster he can make it curve more!!!!!!good in MLB not so good in PRB B/P.\ I have tried the Buffalo Ballets and have been pretty much disapointed!!! which just makes me shoot more of then,trying to figure out the combination.

I found that a caliber sized fiber wad always improved accuracy when shooting conicals but didn't seem to do anything with RB. I got the best accuracy out of my fast twist barrel using a 250 grain REAL bullet lubed with beeswax & olive oil so give those a try if you can find them.

i tried the 250gr REAL in cva hawken with 1-66 twist, they seemed to shoot better than a PRB in this rifle. i like to try every combo to see what works the best, and that is what i'll hunt with.

bull3540 said:
I found that a caliber sized fiber wad always improved accuracy when shooting conicals but didn't seem to do anything with RB. I got the best accuracy out of my fast twist barrel using a 250 grain REAL bullet lubed with beeswax & olive oil so give those a try if you can find them.

Thank you for giving me another option to try. I have plenty of time to work up some loads before the season.

Bob

Back