• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28ga PRB Turkey Load - Final Sight-In Today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
28ga smoothbore at 30yds, sitting on the ground with my back leaning against a tree.
So the easy part is done...hard part starts April 13th...finding / coaxing a long beard into view.
:hmm:

032613FinalSight-In54calPRBTurkeyTarget_zps4048d0b1.jpg

Looks GREAT, Roundball! And let me be one of the first to go ahead and congratulate you on your turkey, cause I have no doubt that you will get one. I wish I was getting a chance at one this year, but COE here cancelled the season at the lake so I will be more than likely sitting this one out. But I will expect a detailed report here, and I'm sure it will be as good as usual, coming from you. :hatsoff:

Never can tell about longbeards where I hunt...a very small place, no acreage to 'run & gun' so to speak...either I'll keep going and hit one that's roosted in that little woodlot one day and have a chance, or never hear a gobble at all.
Truth be known, I've already had a pretty satisfying time digging into this PRB possibility out of a S/B ML with the NC-WRC, then doing the load development, then learning about turkey body vitals, then getting it dialed in on life size practice targets, and so on. Tagging a longbeard would be terrific of course but we'll just have to see what cards I get dealt. Don't want one bad enough to go after it on public game lands...too many hunters get shot every spring to be worth it for me.

Hate to hear that your season got jerked out from under you...

I've been hunting public land last couple years after my lease got sold out from under me with no notice, but I also hunt the out of the way areas of it that are accessible by water only, so usually have 500-1500acres to myself because of how much of a pain the access to them is. Its a matter of paddling at least 2 miles, the last half mile of which has to be done by kayak or canoe due to sunken trees and shallows that won't allow a powered boat through, then another 1/4 mile of trekking through mud that makes me wish I was wearing snow shoes to prevent sinking, and then the hunting area begins. It's good hunting, but also a royal pain in the neck to get to, which is what keeps this area very rarely used. Even the rangers say they refuse to go there. Now the other areas at this lake that they allow hunting on, I try to avoid for the same reason you do. We haven't had any serious injuries, but there have been enough close calls that I treat the few hunts I have gone on there more like military patrols, making sure I am not seen or heard unless I take a shot at game. And then recover my game and sneak back out. I use the area that is a pain to get to for safety and so I don't have to hunt like a poacher would while still following game laws.

I do wish you the best of luck, as getting that turkey would be the perfect reward for all the work you have done to get everything in place. I know I will be trying if I find a place to hunt this spring.

Looks like you got her dialed in Roundball :thumbsup: Good Luck on your season,I ordered some Permethrin yesterday so I may go give it a try this year myself. :idunno:

That looks very good!
Congrats on the load development and sighting in.

And of course "Waidmanns Heil" as we say as to wish you good luck for the hunt.

I'll be looking forward to a field report :wink:

Silex

Back