• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28gauge/.54 cal for Squirrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering who can provide some feedback on using a .54 cal smoothbore (=28gauge) for squirrel/turkey. I'm considering getting my first smoothbore and I'd like to use it for those critters as well as deer with a PRB. What are the limitations? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!
Hubertus

IMO, they’re an outstanding, very versatile Flintlock”¦christened my .54cal Early Virginia smooth-rifle on a November buck last fall.
( Rice 42” B-weight swamped / 90grns Goex 3F / .022” Oxyoke / .520” ball )

Plan to christen it this year on small game.
(25yd targets in 2nd photo)
Previous .54cal smoothie was a 32" GM barrel in a T/C Hawken stock, that took it's share of squirrels and deer.

11091154cal-28gaSmoothboreVirginia8PointerDarker.jpg

05301125ydTunaCanPenetrationTests.jpg

I've found the 28 ga. smooth rifle very versatile, have taken deer and squirrels with this old original. If I could have only one gun, that would be it.

Smooth_rifleZzy.jpg

Spence

Use a 54 smoothbore for squirrel all the time. You have to work up a good shot cup to get any real distance. I have a limit of about 25 yards with #6 shot, paper shot cup, equal volume shot and powder.

I have a .53cal smoothbore that I built from an assortment of parts last winter that I have been playing with off and on. I've come across a pretty good load that patterns quite well at 25yds. 65gr 3F, 3 - 1/8" wool wads,with an 80gr measure of #6 magnum shot topped with a thin overshot card. I wouldn't hesitate to use on turkey. It would do for squirrel out to 30yds and maybe a touch more.

I still have to find a good load for round ball. That will my project for this summer.

I like mine, but have only been seriously using it for about a year, with only small game to its credit, but have been trying to find a hog while carrying it lately and hoping for turkey in a month, and then deer this fall. Works great for the small game, and accuracy is good enough out to at least the 60yds I've tried it to on paper so far that it should be good for deer/hog. I dont think you'll regret getting/making one.

P1270023.jpg

That is just a Lyman GPR with a GM .54 smoothbore barrel fitted to it.

My 28ga/54cal smooth rifle is a Jacob Dubbs model i built with parts from Larry Zornes at the Mold and Gun shop, Jackson, Oh. It's small game ability is limitless. 60gr-3f w/ 65gr shot. Does best with 6's. 25 yd squirrels are common place. The PRB load is 65gr-3f w/530-.010patch. I bump the powder up to 85gr for elk. 65yd max range. If my home catches fire, it'll be the first gun out the window.

Those who haven't shared already, I'd be interested in some of your 28gauge/.54 small game loads...effective range and meat still being edible.
And have any of you tried these cloth shot cups from another thread? (the glued ones...) :thumbsup:

For the heavy turkey loads, best results so far have been with 80grs FFF, 2 os cards, a bit of cedar or tow, 2 OS cards, 120grs by volume #6s, 1 OS card. For small game, I use 60grs FFF, 3 OS cards, 80grs volume #6s, and 1 OS card.

I know some will say that my turkey load is too heavy, but please keep in mind that I have a 15/16" straight octagon barrel, and not a light weight and fast handling fowler. Also, that is what has been giving me the tightest patterns so far with enough velocity to pass the can test. I have made a wooden tool to seat the cloth "shotcups", but haven't had a chance to go out and do much testing with the cloth "shotcups" yet. I actually made two, one that just seats the light pellet load, and one double ended one that does both of these loads. So far, with VERY limited testing, I do see some improvement, but it hasn't been very consistent yet, so I need to do more load development before I will hunt with it. I also haven't tried any shot other than #6s and #4 buck, so need to try different sizes sometime when funds allow.

My squirrel load has been 55-60 gr. FFg and an equal volume or a bit more of #5 shot. I find that good to at least 25 yards.

I've never tried any shot cups. Depending on my mood, I either use two .125" hard cards over powder, one .035" over shot, or one .125" hard card and one .45" lubricated cushion wad over powder, one .035" over shot.

My deer load is 90-100 gr. FFg and a .535" ball with ticking patch, and gives very good accuracy out to 75 yards. Here's the first shot I ever tried with the old gun and that load, sitting and using the ramrod as a monopod at 75 yards.

Bull.jpg

My Momma didn't raise no dummies. After that first shot I quit shooting, didn't want to spoil the group. :haha:

Spence

Back