• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd Chance buck!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, Saturday (12/11) was the ONLY day I had to go deer hunting this season. I almost rolled over and went back to sleep when the alarm went off at 4 A.M., but I dragged my butt out of bed and got to the managed area that I hunt. I was a little discouraged when 24 parties showed up to hunt deer (there are limited spots), but I was fortunate to be drawn 4th, so I got a spot. I chose a spot that I had hunted in the past (8 years ago), but when I got out there, I couldn't find my way back to where I wanted to go......and I wasn't seeing any tracks in the little bit of snow that was on the ground, so I figured this trip, like all my others, would be a bust as well.
I found a spot on the edge of a tree line (this is marsh area, so there aren't a lot of trees), and sat there until the sun came up. When the sun came up, it was 45 minutes before I heard any shots, and those were coming from different areas that I had chosen.....figures, I thought....I'm sitting out here freezing for nothing. My back was starting to hurt, so I got up and moved about 50 yards to a spot where there was a big oak, about 4 ft in diameter, so I could lean against that..the trail I was sitting on was now behind me. I was in a small grove of trees, with some heavier brush to my left and a large stand of phragmites grass in front of me. I figured that the deer might skirt the edge of the phragmites or brush.

I was just thinking about laying down for a nap when I heard something come stomping (and I mean stomping) through the brush behind me. I thought it was another hunter, seeing as others could hunt this area as well. I turned and looked behind me to see a brown body....a deer! It then picked up it's head, and I could see it was a small spike buck. Then I saw another deer behind it (doe), and then another deer behind it (another doe). I brought my Hawken to full cock.
The trail the deer were on angled away from me, and I waited for the buck to clear the brush before I was going to shoot, but the minute he cleared the brush he abruptly turned and started coming my way, so I let him come......all the way in until he was 10 feet away from me! He couldn't see me all that well as I had the oak at my back. I put the sights on his chest, pulled the set trigger, then pulled the trigger and "POP", I heard the sickening sound of just the cap going off! I thought a very bad word, very loudly, inside my head....I thought the little buck would take off for the hills, but he just stood there....looking at me! He then turned around and walked back to the does. I took this opportunity to reach in my possibles and grab my capper (which I keep on a leather thong) and recap the rifle. The buck went about 20-25 yards and stopped with the does. He was milling around and I wanted a clear shot. Finally, they decided to all take off back where they came from.....it was now or never, so I brought the gun to full cock, aimed, and fired. The sight picture was obscured by smoke for a second, and I caught a glimpes of them as they ran off throgh the thick brush. I listened as I reloaded; it sounded as if one of them was milling around in the thick brush. I didn't hear it 'fall', so I was wondering if it bedded down? Gut shot, maybe? But it didn't sound that far away. I left my seat and other gear and started looking for signs of a hit: no blood or hair at the spot where it was shot. I started heading in the direction they took off....again, no blood. I was poking along, keeping on eye on the ground and one out in front of me in case it jumped up, when I spotted a red dot on the ground to my left, about 10 feet away. I checked, and it was blood....bright red blood. I looked and could see a few more drops here and there, then more blood on the grass and on the ground. The little bit of snow that was still on the ground helped immeasurably. The blood was becoming more frequent and finally I stumbled on my deer, in the thick grass. It must have been staggering in the brush, and that's what I heard.
Some days the gods of black powder smile on you...... :)

img_2525.jpg

img_2524.jpg

Ball went in the the right side of the chest (broke one of the last ribs when it went in), and I'm thinking it exited forward of the left shoulder, but I can't find the exit hole (but there is a lot of blood in that area). Load was 80 grains of FFFg (I know, I know.....I'm supposed to use only 2Fg in a .54; so sue me!) and a .54 cal patched round ball I cast myself (LEE mold) and CCI magnum caps.

My first black powder whitetail!.....I'm quite pleased! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice deer :thumbsup: I also use 3fffg in my .54 and so does a lot of people around here.

Congratulations On the nice harvest.
But next time save your self some stress.
That smoke pole should be as reliable as a cartridge gun!!
where or not you snap a cap before loading our rifle. It is a good idea to pick the nipple or flash hole before priming or capping.
It will became much more reliable.
More meat less heartbreak and long faces at the end of the day :doh:

Back