• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 day hike in hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What gear would you take on a 3 day hike in hunt? Some background to give you an idea where I am coming from. The hunt will be on public land with temps from lows of 30 to highs in the 60s. Weather is anybodys guess, but hope for sunny days. Distance will be around 5 miles in to camp, hunt from camp, 5 miles back to vehicles.

lots of socks, two pairs per day. i would also recomend a change of clothes for each day. but even if you wear the same clothes for all three days make sure you have at least 6 pairs of socks. a good weather resistent coat is always important.

lotsa clean water and easily stored food, probably enough to last 7 days. dont forget some emergency plan. make sure someone knows where your going and when your supposed to be back.

other then the stuff i already mentioned you just need your basic camping supplies. tent or structure building supplies. good fire starting supplies. dont forget a length of rope and a good knife aswell.

im sure others will chime in with more advice.

oh yea... a camera! we will require many pictures of the hunt.

have fun
-Matt

lorren68 said:
What gear would you take on a 3 day hike in hunt? Some background to give you an idea where I am coming from. The hunt will be on public land with temps from lows of 30 to highs in the 60s. Weather is anybodys guess, but hope for sunny days. Distance will be around 5 miles in to camp, hunt from camp, 5 miles back to vehicles.
Modern gear or period gear?
Will it possible to pretty much "live off the land", or will you require some packed in food?

With modern gear I have been out for months with one change of clothes and two extra pairs of socks. With period gear, just a canvas tarp will weigh almost as much or more than the pack, sleeping bag, and tent that I used weighed together. When you have to carry everthing, you will be surprised how little you can get by with.

I am doing a hike in hunt for 4-6 days this April. Here is a list of my very basic gear. I aim to travel light and set up camp wherever I finsh hunting each day. Worked a treat last year and I kept up with stags that roared late in the day without having to worry about scooting back to camp each evening. Kind of like being happily lost!

GEAR:
1 x badlands diablo pack.
1 x water bladder inside
small sleeping bag
small 3/4 sleeping pad
ultralight 1 person tent (2.5lb)
ultralight stove & butane cartridge
ultralight potset & plastic fork.
inflatable pillow
GPS
Compression bandage (snakebite)
flint firelighter & waterproof matches.
penlight torch & spare battery
mosquito repellent
small crossword puzzle book
compact am/fm radio for entertainment at night.
2 pair underpants spare.
1 pair socks spare
microlight towell
1 spare t shirt
shooting bag with powder & balls etc.
lightweight game bags
collapsable lightweight platypus waterbottle
folding lockblade swiss army knife (with saw blade which will cut skull in half - very cool)
string

FOOD:
Oats for breakfast
museli bar morning tea.
Noodles for lunch
Mountainhouse freezedried meal for dinner.
3 x teabags perday.
Gatorade powder
bag of trailmix.

Obviously temperature might be different for me but hope this helps anyway.

Happy hunting!

Kapow said:
I am doing a hike in hunt for 4-6 days this April. Here is a list of my very basic gear. I aim to travel light and set up camp wherever I finsh hunting each day. Worked a treat last year and I kept up with stags that roared late in the day without having to worry about scooting back to camp each evening. Kind of like being happily lost!

GEAR:
1 x badlands diablo pack.
1 x water bladder inside
small sleeping bag
small 3/4 sleeping pad
ultralight 1 person tent (2.5lb)
ultralight stove & butane cartridge
ultralight potset & plastic fork.
inflatable pillow
GPS
Compression bandage (snakebite)
flint firelighter & waterproof matches.
penlight torch & spare battery
mosquito repellent
small crossword puzzle book
compact am/fm radio for entertainment at night.
2 pair underpants spare.
1 pair socks spare
microlight towell
1 spare t shirt
shooting bag with powder & balls etc.
lightweight game bags
collapsable lightweight platypus waterbottle
folding lockblade swiss army knife (with saw blade which will cut skull in half - very cool)
string

FOOD:
Oats for breakfast
museli bar morning tea.
Noodles for lunch
Mountainhouse freezedried meal for dinner.
3 x teabags perday.
Gatorade powder
bag of trailmix.

Obviously temperature might be different for me but hope this helps anyway.

Happy hunting!

In my part of the world there really isn’t a good place to do the kind of pack in hunt being discussed here. Once a year though I do try to get the better part of a week in on some section of the Appalachian Trail.
Leaving out the shooting related items, my gear list is pretty much the same as yours. One exception is that I long ago quit carrying any powdered drink mixes. I have never carried a radio either. Since the object of what I’m doing is simply to get from point A to point B, by the time point B is reached, my nighttime entertainment is sleeping. No need of weather reports either. Whatever is present is what I’m walking in.
You won’t find a tee shirt anywhere in my gear either - at least not a 100% cotton one. All clothing on my trips is some synthetic that will dry quickly
I notice that you don’t mention a water filter. The one I have, the all-metal Katadyn, is strong a tank. It weighs about as much as one too. Having learned some new tech from thru-hikers in recent years, one change on my next hike will be the filter being left home. There is now a product called Aqua Mira http://www.nitro-pak.com/aqua-mira/?gclid=CJ-C8LTzl7UCFSWoPAodBSMAKA that will accomplish the same thing at a tremendous reduction in weight.
Another change will be a switch from the rice and pasta meals that have been my mainstay for years, to freeze dried meals. Weight saving aside, the main reason for the switch is a change in stoves. I will be using a pop can stove. At an ounce or so they can’t be beat in the weight department. The little I’ve played with them, the only drawback I see is that they are not very good when it comes to heat adjustment. If the only need is to boil water though, they are great.
I look for my next hike to be several pounds easier.
One last thing.
I can’t say that I’m afraid of snakes. Actually, I find ”˜em kind of fascinating. But over here, a bite from a venomous snake is rarely fatal. If North America had some of the snakes that Australia has, I would probably be a very dedicated indoorsman. Camping in your part of the world would scare me to death. If one of your snakes didn’t kill me first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunt what?? Big game = pack frame

30s-60s I like wool over a sleeping bag, added weight but damp happens

Big game, I would also add two canvas game bags, something like 20”x30” or bigger & 2 cheap gauze game bags the 1st for packing out 2nd for hanging i.e. . . Deer halves or elk quarters.

Most of the basics have been covered by others. So I’m working the fringes.
Lay it all out on a bed or floor. I do two piles 1st is what I can’t stay or hunt without. Tag, gun, loads, knife, wool blanket, a way to make fire, water, TP (yes TP I’m not staying without it so shut up :blah: ) Note food is not in this pile, on a 3 day hunt 5 miles from the road with lows in the 30s I would stay & hunt without food, so it goes in the 2nd pile for me.

Then lay out the “what you want pile”: Take the bathroom scale and the laundry basket set basket on the scale, add items from the want pile one by one asking yourself, do I want that bad enough to hump it in & back out again. When you’re done pick up the basket and walk around the block with it. :shocked2:

I will be using modern gear for now, I dont have the period stuff yet. I have enjoyed reading all the replies so far. My friends and I did an overnight hike in hunt/camp a couple weeks ago. We had so much stuff that it required a wagon along with back packs to haul it in. It was fun but way too much stuff. I am hoping to carry enough food to serve for the hunt, but I hope to suplement with fish and game from the area. Cooking will be over the fire, no portable stoves. Water will be carried in and replinished from a filter system.

5 miles isn't far; carrying all the stuff you need 5 miles is far. Are you going alone? I would consider using horses, easier to get in and easier to get your game/gear out. It will make your hunt much more enjoyable.

If it's your first time doing something like this then maybe you should only hike in as far as a half a day travel and carry less stuff. If your strong enough then a 40/50 lb. pack. You will learn alot your first trip.

Definitely a plastic tarp. If you don't take a tent, you can use it for a shelter if it rains. On moist, misty nights, you can tuck it around your sleeping bag to stay dry. You can use it to stack meat on, to keep your meat clean. Bill

Frankly, if it's only 5 miles I'd make a couple of one-day scouting trips into the area first. Finding water and a good spot to overnight not in the middle of your hunting area is priceless. It will also tell you what kind of gear you'll need for that specific area.

If a little gear happened to fall out of my daypack while in there, so much the better. I've prepositioned all sorts of stuff for later trips- tarp, line, collapsible water bottles, the nice-to-haves that make a camp a home, yet are kinda bulky or heavy to haul on top of your food and regular overnight gear. The tarp is dandy for caching gear when it's time to bring a deer out, just so you don't have to carry your camp and the deer all at once. I now have a couple of prime spots with the basics cached from several years of hunting, and I plan to keep going back. Cache the right stuff in the right place in the right way, and no one has to know about it, nor will they stumble on it and rip you off. Kinda like the mountain men did with excess gear and pelts long ago.

As for tents on solo hunts, a bivie sack is more useful but awfully confining if you get weathered in. But use your tarp to rig an awning over the front of the bivie, and you have an instant porch to get out of the weather, but stay out of the confines of the bivie while lazing around. My bivie weighs just over a pound, stakes included, and frankly it's a whole lot warmer inside than any 2-man tent.

We did pine log a week or so ago, Cohutta may be on the list in the near future. We are also looking at some of the south GA WMAs. Most of these hunts are for feral hogs, but may also include deer when the season opens in September.

To the comment about the wagon...twernt no "radio flyer" it was a modified lawn cart that you pull behind a riding lawn mower. We made a set of trucks for the front thant pinned to the tounge so we could pull it like a wagon.

If you are interested in joining us on the next Adventure let me know. We are hoping for one more trip before Feb 28th.

Mental note, water purifier. You guys are very lucky to have the land that you do and the critters to hunt. So whatever you carry in don't forget to soak it all in and enjoy yourself. Sometimes disatrous trips can be the most enjoyable if you have someone to laugh at you and vice versa. Don't forget before you head off to put a couple of big rocks in your mates pack when he isn't looking. That is pure entertainment in itself. Have a great time and we'll compare notes at the other end.

Kapow said:
Mental note, water purifier. You guys are very lucky to have the land that you do and the critters to hunt. So whatever you carry in don't forget to soak it all in and enjoy yourself. Sometimes disatrous trips can be the most enjoyable if you have someone to laugh at you and vice versa. Don't forget before you head off to put a couple of big rocks in your mates pack when he isn't looking. That is pure entertainment in itself. Have a great time and we'll compare notes at the other end.

So true! That is why one of the things that always gets packed out is our trash. We carry trash bags in our pack for various things, but one is always saved for the trash that has to be packed out.

I want to find a snake to put in my friends tent, now that would be a sight to behold!

lorren68 said:
We are also looking at some of the south GA WMAs. Most of these hunts are for feral hogs,

Let me know when you get ready for that one. I know some good spots down int the SE area. I was planning on a multi day trip at the end of March or in April.

But then you need to show me around Cohutta, it's way up on my to do list. :thumbsup:

Supercracker said:
lorren68 said:
We are also looking at some of the south GA WMAs. Most of these hunts are for feral hogs,

Let me know when you get ready for that one. I know some good spots down int the SE area. I was planning on a multi day trip at the end of March or in April.

But then you need to show me around Cohutta, it's way up on my to do list. :thumbsup:

I will have to learn cohutta first, I have never hunted up there.

Back