• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal conicals??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,
im having a really hard time killing a ground hog eith my traditions 32cal crockett. i was wondering if the round ball may be a bit light for the toughness of a ground hog? does any body know who would have 32 cal conicals? and any other advise......im using 25 FFFg with .310 ball.....i dont know wheater i need a bigger gun for the hogs or not. i really enjoy shooting the 32 but if there arent any conicals made for 32 cal then i will have to get out the 50 cal new englander.

thanks aaron

I would try a hotter load before buying the Maxies. IMHO, 25 gr behind a .310 ball is a little anemic for whistle pigs. IMHO, a 30 or 35 gr load will hit 'em harder.

That said, Dixon's sells 32 maxis, if Track doesn't have 'em.

God bless

A .22 cb cap will kill one easy. Have prob killed 15 or 20 with a cb cap. The .32 prb will do it no problem. You don't need a maxi. If you want to try one thats cool. :) Larry Wv

I've whapped a few snowshoe hare with the .310 ball on top of 25 grains of 3f. I backed way off of that charge, because out as far as I was shooting them, it virtually blew their heads off with lots of bloodshot meat back into the shoulders. No experience with ML and groundhogs, but I'm really surprised that load isn't doin the job. Are you taking body shot, perhaps? That opens a whole new can of worms I'm not qualified to speculate about with one exception:

I'm betting you're not lacking for penetration with that RB load, and extra penetration is about all you get with a conical, and less expansion than an RB while your at it. Conicals would be a great experiment, but hit in the same place, I'm betting the RB does more damage.

Here's an interesting thought for you. I've lost the guy's name, but I've been reading an old book on muzzleloaders, and the guy talks about great resulsts using conventional patches with "picket" or conical bullets. Makes me wonder a whole lot about trying short .308 or .310 semiwadcutters intended for 32 cal pistols. You might need to go to a thicker patch for better "grip" to get that bullet spinning right, but it's sure worth a thought, if not also a bullet buy. I'd go for the softest you can find, though.

Aaron I have shot 19 hogs straight with my .32 CVA squirrel rifle. 20grs 3fff and .311 ball. My barrel is shorter then yours,yours probably burns more powder then mine as it is longer. I think your ball is going tru then quick and they are not getting the full shock. I allways shot head&neck area. I sometimes find the ball against the skin on other side. Cut powder back 5grs and see how it works. Now I don't try to strain the barrel with long shots,try to keep under 40yrds or under. Haven't started on them yet,but trigger finger is getting itchy. Friend Dilly

Aaron, what for balls are you using? Are they dead soft? If they have any hardness to them, maybe they aren't giving you any expansion. Just a thought.

Like the others, I'm a little surprised at the trouble you're having - but I've never shot a groundhog with a .32. :grin:

I think it might be kinda fun to try the maxi's.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I use 22gr pyrodex P in my 32.crockett and if you shoot a squirrel it had better be a head shot or you don't have much meat left.
The PRB are more acurate than conicals in my rifle. How far are you shooting at them whistle pigs.

Back