• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal. rifle accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a .32 caliber Pedersoli Frontier for squirrel hunting and i would like to know what kind of accuracy to expect at 35 yards ? This is my first time hunting with a muzzleloader , so any accuracy tips would be helpful . Thanks .

I have the same rifle in .36 and get a ragged hole at 25 yards off the bench and around a 1in group at 50yds with 40gr of 3F and a .018 patch.

sidewinder,
My squirrel rifle is a .32 Crockett.
I shoot off bench at 35yards at an actual
squirrel target. I am happy when I get 8 out of 10
as a head shot on a squirrel target.Off hand shots while hunting squirrel at 35yards,at least for me would be rare.I usually try to anchor my
shot,no matter whatever the distance may be.
I shoot 30 grams of fffGoex and as of late been using .32 cal ballets. I have found them to be very accurate at least in my Cricket :hmm:

Capper said:
Sounds like fun guns to shoot. There must be no recoil?

With the light loads I use for small edible game, I'm guessing it might fall somewhere between 22LR and 22WMR, if you get my drift. Snort the loads up for longer range varmint shooting, on the order of 30+ grains, and it will remind you of a 25-20 or 32-20 hivel loading. Not much at all, but you can feel the gun move a little.

With my current 15 grain load, we're talking 467 shots from a single can of powder, which means your spending more for caps than you are for powder. Cast your own ball and recycle the lead, and you're down in the range of rimfire shooting costs, if we're talking decent ammo rather than cheap.

Even at 30 grs it's a C&B load for me. That would be pleasant to shoot compared to my 80-110 gr loads i'm shooting (as I rub my sore shoulder)

Are there any reasonably priced guns for sale in that caliber? It couldn't have a cheek piece, because i'll have to shoot it left handed. (caplock)

Capper said:
Even at 30 grs it's a C&B load for me. That would be pleasant to shoot compared to my 80-110 gr loads i'm shooting (as I rub my sore shoulder)

Are there any reasonably priced guns for sale in that caliber? It couldn't have a cheek piece, because i'll have to shoot it left handed. (caplock)

Yeah, you're getting more recoil from your C&B than you'll get from a heavier rifle and long barrel.

As for reasonably priced, yes and no. I've got a Traditions Crockett in 32 and a CVA Bobcat in 36, and back when I bought, both were relatively cheap. But I feel that I kinda got what I paid for. The Crockett isn't real skookum build wise, especially considering current prices (I paid $250 new for mine, and IIRC they're approaching twice that today). The Bobcat just isn't a whole lot of gun, but it works and used prices shouldn't be bad at all.

If I had my druthers, I wish I had sprung for a used TC Cherokee or their other little gun (memory is a bugger, isn't it). If you search long enough and buy right, they aren't much more than a new Crockett. But they're about 3 times the gun in terms of build quality and service from the company. You could pick up a used Crockett for a lot less than new I bet, but the TC is a better value.

In any case, if you're going to be shooting lots the payback comes pretty fast in powder savings and the comfort level goes way up.

You didn't ask, but 30-35 grain loads in your big bore are likely to be super accurate and comfortable as can be. Sounds strange, but I get more use out of my 50, 54, and 58 calibers as head thumpers on snowshoe hare. Head shot is a head shot no matter the size of the hole, and I really like carrying my big game guns in the field.

I have the .32 percussion Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle (same as your rifle). I shoot 30 grains of 3fff black powder or Pyrodex, and a >310 Hornady round ball. After filing the front sight down some, I have no problems with the 30 to 40 yard shots.

I don't shoot the Pyrodex if it is wet out. My experience with it has not been good in any of my guns.

You will probably like that rifle.
Outdoorman

outdoorman said:
I have the .32 percussion Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle (same as your rifle). I shoot 30 grains of 3fff black powder, and a >310 Hornady round ball. After filing the front sight down some, I have no problems with the 30 to 40 yard shots.

Outdoorman

Same gun in flintlock, same load (fff bp), same results:
FlintlockSqu.jpg

Good luck.
Wess

PICT0433.jpg

Though I don't hunt much with my Crockett, now - I use a .36 SMR - I use to. It is very accurate and I've shot sub 1" groups up to 50 yards. I use 30 grains Goex 3f, .311 ball, .016 ticking lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. It accounted for many a bushytail.

I shoot a CVA .32cal Squirrel rifle. At 25 yards off the bench I shoot consistent ragged 3 hole groups. But I haven't found many benches to shoot off of in the woods. Off the elbow on the front of my pickup I usually shoot around 1" groups at 25 yds. You can always find a limb or tree to brace on. At 100 yards on the elbow/pickup I shoot a consistent level, and 2" left of center with groups of about 2". With bad eyes that ain't bad for me. Why I shoot to the left I don't know. I don't pull left on 25 and 50 yard shots. I've seriously tested different loads from 15 to 40 grains with this rifle, and with 30 grains of powder and a .310 round-ball at 25 yards this rifle shoots thru two 2x4's and into the face of the third. You can pluck the lead out of the third 2x4 with your pocket knife. It shoots exactly the same with 40 grains. I don't know why the 40 doesn't shoot deeper into the third piece of wood, but it doesn't. It shoots level with no drop at 100 yards with 30 grains powder. It shoots no better with 40 grains so why waiste the powder. Thirty grains P-FFF is what I've settled on for anything I do with this rifle. A friend asked me to try this so I did. For .32cal patches I've begun using 22lr-22/250 cotton cleaning patches. They are one inch square white cotton patches and when cut into 4 equal 1/2" squares, they work perfectly. I lube them with Bore Butter and it seems to help because I get allot more shots before I have to clean the barrel. Accurate and fun to shoot caliber. No kick. Great for squirrels. They'll drop a coyote, beaver, nutria, and coon with no problem. Pig killers with a good side of the head or ear shot. Pigs shot in the body - you "may" have to trail a while because the .310 round-ball doesn't make a real big blood hole. But you can get lucky and drop him on the spot. The small .32cal and .36cal rifles shoot very well and can be used for more applications than many people believe. To me the best reason for owning one is they're just allot of fun to shoot. K45

I have the CVA Squirrel Rifle too. Mine likes 25 gr FFFg with pillow ticking cut at the muzzle. I use home cast .311 balls. On a bench I get a ragged hole at 25 yards. It is great on squirrels. I am thinking about working up a more powerful load for the hogs around here. we can usually get within 50yards and can "earhole" them with .22 shorts.

It has been in my experiences with the small bores to use alot less powder for hunting edible small game. In the 32 cal I use 10-12 grains, with the 36 cal I use 12-15 grains with very lethal and predictable effect. I have used more velocity but it really tears up some good eatin! Besides rabbits and squirrels are not that hard to put down.

Back