• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancill

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered a Crockett from traditions to hunt squirrels with my son. I got it on Friday but today was the first day I was able to shoot it. Dang thing shot perfect to my POA at 30 yards with no adjusting. Well my son didn't want to hit the woods today so I slipped out to my hardwood bottom. Well I hunted for about an hour and only one came within range. My first black powder shot at a squirrel and scored a head shot.

Actually hit her in the eye.

Way to go! Mind if I ask what your load is? Always found it amazing at the variety of loads all of us here use.

25 gn pyrodex. .310 ball with a pillow ticking patch cut at barrel lubed with 2/3 lard 1/3 bees wax. I have no idea the thickness of my ticking I got a sample from hobby lobby and it shot grear out of my GPR 54 cal so I bought 3 yards. It just so happens to work great in this gun as well.

Nothing wrong with that at all!!

I got skunked Friday afternoon and yesterday afternoon, it has blown gales here for the last week. I took both grandsons Friday afternoon and saw one squirrel slipping away across the creek out of range, heard 2 squirrels yesterday out of eye site. beats sitting on the couch though.

creek

i have one i built from a kit, been shooting, but havnt found, the load yet, cant wait to hunt with it though!!!! great shooting

Congratulations on your first kill with the new rifle. I also have a Crockett and I think it is the neatest thing since canned beer or sliced bread. I have been loading 20 grains of 3Fg, but after reading reports of others having remarkable success with 10 grains of powder, I am going to try it........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
nice shooting! i have a new crockett in the box i haven't shot yet. possibly putting a full length scope on it for woodchuck hunting next year.

I have a crocket and use 10 grains of triple 7 .It handles great . Tom :grin:

Back