• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd go with the 36, but you'll find a bunch of folks who will swear by the .32...

i think the 63 will give you a bit more range, it will be a bit easier to load (i.e. less fouling, etc) and will be better for things other than 'kwerl. (bunnies, coyoties, etc.)

just one guy's opinion... either way, you're gonna have a blast!

make good smoke

If it were me I would choose the .32. Either would do just fine. The only advantage I see for the .36 is that you can use .350 buckshot which is much cheaper. Either one will require a head shot or the ball will destroy meat. I like my .32 and .36. The .32 uses 25 grains FFFg and the .36 uses 40 grain FFFg.

I've got both. I'm hunting snowshoe hare rather than squirrels these days, but I've used the 36 only once since buying the 32. Just suits me better somehow. No shade on the 36. I think my 32 balances better for offhand shooting, but that's a detail of the rifle rather than the bore.

As for fouling, that's a tempest in a teapot in my experience. With a reasonably tight patch and ball combo to help "scrub" the fouling each time I seat a new load, it's just not an issue. I've never pushed either one past 20 rounds without swabbing, but that's cuzz I've only shot 20 rounds in a session. And "tight enough" doesn't require a hammer either.... just firm pressure on the short starter. It helps to use a patch lube that softens the fouling though. Liquids usually work better than greases for that, ranging from spit to Hoppes #9+, and even Windex, if I recall correctly. Only know about the spit and Hoppes, but it sure works with them.

For loads, I hold things down to around 22 LR velocities. That .310 or .350 ball at 22 LR velocities is plenty to ruin a whole lot of meat if you wander back from the head. In the 32 that translates into 15 grains of 3f Goex or Pyrodex P, and in the 36 it's 20 grains of the same powders. Lots of folks use more, but heck, I can't see well enough for head shooting much past 30-35 yards. And both guns will pop heads a lot further if you can see them.

Both are sweet...but for skewrl the .32 will do jest fine...its a bit cheaper than the .36 to shoot. I have one of each the .32 is half stock Mowrey and the ,36 is a full stock Blue ridge.
Both are cappers..new I need a small bore flinter!

Are you going production guns or custom. I went with a 32 I am glad I did because I could find the 32 cal pistol to match it. A TC hawken with a 32 ibs barrel and a crockett pistol. You could look hard and find a 36 cal patriot and a 36 cal cherokee or seneca.

Go one better. The .40 Cal. will do a better job than the .32 or the .36. I sold my .32 after I bought a Flint .40. You can load it up or down to match the .32 or .36. You can load it with 60 Grs. of 3F for 100 yd. shots. :thumbsup:

I like the .36 better than the .32 cause the .36 ball is a tad larger & easier for me to load. But I like a .40 better than both the .32 & the .36.

:thumbsup:

If I could only have 2 rifles, it would be a .40 for small game & the .54 for large game.

:thumbsup:

I would take the .32 every time. :grin: I have used both, but the .32 is more efficient in terms of powder and lead. :applause: I also think their is less noise than shooting the larger bore (less likely to disturb other squirrels in the area). Currently I only use fffG Swiss powder and fowling is not a problem. (I did not have a problem when I used Goex or other brands) 15 grains gives plenty of zip and that is about 450 shots/pound of powder. If you buy buckshot from Ballistic Products you can get an appropriate sized ball from them for 3 cents apiece and they will work just fine for the ranges you will be shooting at. In addition recoil is virtually nothing and so you are able to hold very steady on your target for the follow through after the trigger is pulled. I always felt that the .32 has never recieved all of the credit it should, for its ability to take game with a well placed shot. :hatsoff: Good luck in your decision and most importantly...happy shooting!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thats the 2 I have Bdog. Covers cotton tails to big Elk and Bull Moose. :thumbsup:

I have a related question. I know that the typical smallbore longrifle has, well, a long barrel. How much barrel do you actually need for a 36 caliber rifle?

Personally I think that the barrel length has more to do with a longer sight plane than anything. I would say on a long rifle you would want a barrel 36"-44". Kind of a personal decision ans what style of rifle.

Bull,
I have both a .32 and .36.To tell you the truth the.36 does add maybe 10yards to your
squirrel hunting range.But as you get older
you may want your eyes to hunt 10yards shorter and that is when you will love the.32...But either would be
great as long as you do your part.
Having only two,I certainly would not disagree
with birbdog.I personally would put my .45 ahead
of the.40 only because I don't own a .40.
But I am always looking :hmm:
snake-eyes

Probably don't need a very long barrel. After all there are pistols made in this cal. as well. But, to me a long barrel not only gives you a much better sighting plain, it also gives you balance, that steadies the shot. Ever see a tight rope walker with a short balance pole? No, they like the steading affect that a long pole gives them. JMHO

As far as Cal. is concerned. I can't say that one is greater than another. It just depends what you are going to do with it and how many guns you need, want or can convince your wife that you have to have. I have them in all the small cal.(gun friendly wife) The great thing to me though, is here in Ohio, a 38cal. or larger is legal for deer. I am not wanting to open a can of worms about how these small bores are not good for hunting deer, for that is up to the hunter who can place his shots and get close. But, I love my 40cal. that can double as a back up gun to me regular deer rifle. One thing about a 40 cal. is they use a whimpy 5/16 RR. The smaller than 40 cal. can work better with that 5/16 RR. Another personal opinion.

I can't say I'm crazy about the .36, but only because the .32 will do fine and I don't think the .36 is necessary.

Now the .40 is another story. I carried a .40 around quite a bit last fall and found it to be totally devastating on small game. In fact (and I've posted this before) my experience with the .40 on small game convinced me that it would be plenty for deer, as long as you only take a shot you know you can make (good rule for me anyway) and keep the range inside 50 yards.

The 40 is a lot more manageable too, as far as fouling is concerned. Easier to work with.

So, to the original question I'd go with the .32.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I have owned both a .32 and a .36. I prefer the .36 over the .32 because of the fact that the .32 is bothered by the wind more than the .36. I also have a .40 and it is a more accurate caliber than either the .32 or the .36 but is a bit larger than most folks want to use for squirrels. So, to answer your question, I'd pick the .36.

Another consideration might be the game laws if you want to hunt critters larger than squirrels. Here in Oklahoma, muzzleloading rifles can be used for turkeys during the fall season, but minimum caliber is .36. Don't know why...a .32 will kill a turkey dead as it needs to be.

If I still shot rifles I would pick the .32 if it were mainly for squirrels and have a 42" barrel as light as I could get, and have it stocked in the Southern Mt or similar style,with small English flintlock.now for the reality of my shooting squirrels it is a .58 or .62 smoothbore with a load of #6 or # 7 1/2 shot, the .58 being my favorite in a French hunting gun style.

Latest posts

Back