• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 vs 36 for hunting and plinking ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Instead of just saying which caliber is "best" for small game hunting and plinking, I would like to hear of your experiences with these calibers. If any of you have experience with BOTH calibers....all the better!

While I realize how your rifle fits, sentimental value, etc, etc forms a lot of our opinions, please try to focus on caliber only and how it works or worked for you.

Objectivity appreciated fellas. So, which caliber is KING of the squirrel woods with a little informal target shooting thrown in?

I should also mention that I am not the least concerned about being able to use a larger diameter ramrod with the bigger of the two calibers.

Thanks for your replies all!

32 or 36? :idunno:

Hi skychief,

I don't know if either is "king" of the squirrel woods, but both are good choices there.

Since you're tossing in "a little informal target shooting" on the side, I personally would choose the heavier ball, but I would skip the .36 and go on up to .40.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I`m not much of an authority on smallbores as I only have one. A .32 CVA. I don`t like it much though. The bore is so small it`s a pain to load and clean. It also seems to foul up really fast, probably because of the tiny bore. I know that if/when I get another smallbore, it will be something bigger. Probably a .40

Sorry bud, I just really have no experience with either cal....yet. I did have a beautiful .36 cal built that health problems have so far kept me from trying it out. My reasons for the .36 over the .32 were basically a slightly bigger ball for clumsy fingers and the hopes of loading down and making as quiet a 25 yard gun as possible. Just so I can shoot more than once here without worry from the neighbors. Also working a good stiff load for it if I ever get a chance to go some where after coyotes.

I have a CVA squirrel rifle and a Traditions Crockett rifle, like both very well. Both of them are accurate, and cheap enough to shoot. I've used them for a lot of small game, smaller hogs and doe deer with stiff loads, smaller game and plinking load is 25 grains of FFg. I would like to get a .36 just to have fun with another one.

I've just recently aquired a .32 so can't really give an indepth opinion of it . I've only put 10 bitty balls out of it so far. It's a long barrel 44" so if it were going to be a struggle with crud build-up and cleaning it shoud have been noticable with the 10 shots . The smallest bore I have other than the .32 is a .45 with a 33" barrel and that also NOT been a problem.
It's a caplock and as soon as I can obtain a lock or locks both will be flinters. Is the .;32 accurate ? VERY Do I like IT yes sir. Would I prefer a .36 when I can try one I'll let you know. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Sky-

I owned a .36 H&A underhammer 25 years ago. I was into target shooting at that time and only did small game with it. It was accurate and fun to shoot. I nused fairly mild loads of 35 grains or so. Cleaning it was not an issue...accuracy was good but I ownly shot tarkets to 50 yards. 3 years ago I picked up a Perry E. Hall Ashtabula County (Ohio) rifle. I never had so much fun! I use only Swiss 3f and load 15 to 35 grains depending on the situation. My eyes don't permit long range shooting and I limit myself to fairly close shots. I have taken 2 white deer with it in Michigan, and more squirrels, rabbits and other small game than I can recall. It is accurate with almost no recoil. Light and easy to carry 30" 7/8 inch percussion, trimmed in all german silver. I have also used T/C maxiballs and Buffalo Ball-ettes in it. All are accurate for my needs. I am looking to obtain some hollow base .32 wadcutters (98-100 grain pistol bullets) for extended applications. It is my opinion that the .32 is a way under rated caliber capable of performing many tasks, if used at the proper range. I am planning an upcomming wild boar hunt and if I can find it a buffalo hunt w/ the .32 cal.

My chice is .32 depending on the wt. of the final build. Remember the .32 has alimited range and you must be willing to work inside of that limit at all times, this is part of the challenge that I am willing to accept and enjoy. (I really like to "up and close" to the action.

Good luck on the project. I you need more specific answers PM and I will address what ever you would like to know. :thumbsup:

I have both a 32 and two 36's that I shoot, plus a 40cal. which I know you didn't ask about. I can't really tell a difference. All of them are 42" barreled full stocks Both 32 and 36 use about the same amount of powder and since I buy all of my balls, that price is even the same. Buy the best quality that is available to you and you will be happy.

I have had a .32 for many years and just a few years ago I got a .36 and can truthfully not find fault with either and I have shot one heck of a lot of squirrels. I wouldn't give up either one. Vern

i had the same questions and then bought a tvm 32
southern and i can say for accuracy and hunting its perfect.i can load 20gr and shoot about 10 shots before wiping the bore. as for hunting we have lots of gophers(praire squirrels)and its deadly.

I have both a .32 and .36. The .32 is a Traditions Crockett that is very accurate and cheap to feed. With it I have taken a fair number of squirrels and many, many paper targets. 30 grains of 3f is it's magic load but it also does very well with 20 grains. I like the caliber a lot.

The .36 I have has not really spent that much time in the woods though I've had it nearly 3 years. Most of the shots from this little rifle have been directed at bulls eyes and tin cans. It has accounted for one raccoon though.

Neither fouls worse than larger calibers nor are they any more difficult to clean. If squirrels were the only targets I'd opt for the .32. But since the .36 is just as economical and accurate as the .32, and because it does well at longer ranges than the .32, the .36 is my preference. That little .350 ball hits harder for larger small game and predators.

Here are some shots of my TVM southern mountain rifle, tiger maple stock, 32 cal.

4513211826_1a965f2a63_o.jpg

4512567681_0059a492ce_o.jpg

I have both. With the .36 you can use Hornady swaged ooo buckshot for really cheap shooting! :thumbsup:

Back