• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.35 caliber Percussion 1840"s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wish I knew the history of this gun. The only marking on the gun is on the underside of the barrel where it is stamped "Penebakr". gun has been in my family for several generations now. The barrel is somewhat frosty, but it still shoots provided a felt over powder wad is used to keep the patches from shredding.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    935.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    730.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    745.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Very pretty. Looks brand new.

What is the knurled brass piece by the tang? Peep sight? Looks kind of like a lampshade nut.

Do you have the original rear sight?

Get it bored , and re-rifled , to next cal. up. It will shoot like new , w/o special loading , and won't hurt the gun's value at all.

Very pretty. Looks brand new.

What is the knurled brass piece by the tang? Peep sight? Looks kind of like a lampshade nut.

Do you have the original rear sight?
Yes, there is a brass lamp shade nut used for a peep sight. The original rear sight is still on the gun, but my grandfather filed it flush with the barrel flats. He claimed he could not get his face down low enough on the stock to see the sights. The gun will shoot 1.5" groups at 30 yards using the felt wad loading.

That is a clean rifle! Beautiful. Yes, give it a good scotchbrite, Kroil, JB paste scrub and see how it does. As said, you can always go a little larger on the bore.
I have done what you described to the gun already. It smooted out the rough spots somewhat. I get 1.5" groups at 30 yards using the felt wad over the powder. The breech area is pretty eroded due to a charge left in the barrel for several years. That is why I believe the felt wad over the powder is keeping the patched ball out of the corroded area so the patches don't shred.

Yes this is a nice rifle but have you evidence of the age of this gun and is prior to 1865 because it does look a lot later no offence
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back