• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#.36 cal Bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaethjm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my new in box 1994 manufactured CVA 36 cal bobcat came today from the possoble's shop pleasant supprise instead of 175 it was 155. and resonable shipping. I got it cleaned up and will start shooting first chance I get. Anyone knw what weaver base fits this gun iron sight at just about impossible to see. It is either a scope or rear peep with new firesights.

Congrats, sure would like to know how you got it for 155.00. I've been thinking about getting one, but just can't decide.

Well finally made up my mind, and ordered a Bobcat from the possibles shop! I could not resist any longer. I have been reading so much about 32 and 36 calibers, I couldn't make up my mind. I guess it was the idea of using 00 buck for bullets and less fowling problems with the 36 that helped me make up my mind.

please, tell us how it came out 20 bucks cheaper. i would just about want to order right away for that price!

Looking at mine, I'm guessing that it's tapped for that "universal" one-piece mount from Weaver. You may not have to go that far, though. I had a TOW rustic rear sight laying around, as well as a silver front sight blade. Swapping for those made all the difference, and that's saying something with my tired old eyes and a short sighting radius!

Well I emailed Don at the possibles shop, and he stated it was a billing error! He also said they were going to have a price increase shortly. Thats when I decided to order my Bobcat. I have been watching the prices go up sharply on the Crockett and at a few places it's twice the price of the Bobcat.

Would also like to know where you guys are getting the bags of Hornady oo buck for your 36 cals. Would like to get some myself!

Well all I know is that is the price I paid I don't know about errors and nothing was said to me. I guess i will have to order something else to make it up to them. I guess it is just one of thse lucky breaks

I buy five pound boxes of Hornady 000 from Graf's. It is .350. Some sizes are different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The Crockett is a completely different animal it will sell for much more than the Bobcat. Close to $300 for the Crockett. They are worth the extra money as well unless you just hunt and store the Bobcat.

I agree whole heartedly, about the night and day difference. I've only had the opportunity of seeing pictures of each. The Bobcat looks to be about as basic of a ML as there can be. The crockett looks like a very nice firearm. I just wanted something smaller than my lefthanded Renegade 50 cal to horse around with. I also like the idea of using half the powder charge, and I really like the idea of 5# of lead balls, I'm guessing around 500 count for close to the price of 100 50's. More bang for the buck if you will!

I don't know which I am more impressed with. The quality of the Bobcat, or the service from The Possibles Shop. I ordered the gun Monday morning and the Gun was at my door Tuesday 4:00.

Still waiting on patches, and balls I also ordered. I was told they would be sent seperately, hope they are here soon. Am really impressed with the rifle. Looks alot nicer than I was expecting. Can't wait to see how it shoots. Am kind of suprised with the powder charge recomendations of 40 min and 60 max. Anyone have an idea what kind of velocity can be expected with those kind of charges?

I stay above 20 grains because I want to make sure there are no air gaps under the ball. Mine shoots great around 30 grains with just about anything. That 60 grain load is a little touchier if you want tack driving accuaracy out of the gun using patched roundball. With 60 under a bullet, coyotes don't want to stop and look back too often! It really is a very versatile little rifle. That buckhorn takes some getting used to! Actually works pretty good finding squirrels in the trees and then moving to the notch. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am mine!
With 30 grains of 3f, mine will crater steel targets rated for auto pistol at thirty yards. It tears them up too much to use them. The lead ball completely splats on steel at that range. 30 grains under a roundball is plenty hot for anything you would use the gun for normally. Long range varmints are possible with the maxiball bullet over 50 to 60 grains of 3f.

Have you tried any of the mmp sabots with 311 bullets. I don't know about accuracy in a 1/48 twist could be interesting

No, but why would you? Order a package of maxiballs in from somewhere. Put a wad under the maxiballs on top of 60 grains of powder. Anything you would shoot at with an open sighted muzzleloader is in trouble if you choose. 120 grains is what they weigh in at I think. 60 grains of good old 3f goex will step them right on out there!

For what it's worth, the Lyman Black Powder Handbook says that 60 grains of FFFg under a 125 grain Buffalo HP Conical will create 18,100 PSI breech pressure in the .36 cal rifle.
IMO, this is getting into some serious pressures for a Black Powder gun so be careful.
They list as a maximum for this bullet 70 grains of FFFg which creates 19,600 PSI of pressure.
I'm betting that is why they don't list anything greater than this.

zonie :)

Back