• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal powder suggestion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notremor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to the world of muzzleloading and have aquired a Hopkins and Allen .36 cal underhammer rifle. Do I use Pyrodex RS (since it is a rifle) or Pyrodex P (since it is small caliber)? Thanks.

I, myself would use FFFg black powder.

So whatever the FFFg equilviant of pyrodex is will do fine, I believe that is "P".

Pyrodex P - Pistol Powder The principle use for Pyrodex P is in all pistols and in smaller bore rifles, 45 caliber and down.
P compares to 3F blackpowder on a particle size basis.

http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex/granular.php

Thanks Musketman.
I am having a hard time finding Pyrodex P (think I can get it at local Bass Pro Shop) and have never seen blackpowder in a store. I was told that you have to have a special license to sell BP. Where can I find it?
TLD.

Ask at the Bass Pro Shop if they carry fffg goex. It will not be out on the shelf like the Pyrodex. They have to keep it in a vault.
Smokeblower form West Tennessee

But if you can't find BP, Pyrodex "P" would be my choice if I was getting ready to shoot a .36,
I've used "P" before in a .45 and it was excellent

The Pyrodex P will work great in your gun.
Because it is an "Underhammer" the nipple flame is directed directly into the powder without having to go the torturous path it does in a drum or Patent Breech gun.
Good shootin

Latest posts

Back