• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber repro single shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any current single shot reproduction percussion pistol, traditional style, .31 or .36 caliber, about 1/2-3/4 size/weight of of Lyman's Plains Pistol available on the market? Didn't see anything that fit the bill on Dixie and several other sites. Think of something good for a 8-12 year old to start on.

All suggestions welcome.

I've seen 32 single shots and 31 or 36 cap and ball revolvers. None of those have substantial recoil. All are cheap to shoot once you locate the balls. They won't be at Wally World.

Pedersoli's web page has a sweet 36 under hammer. I expect it is pricey. The Crokett is the 32 I was thinking about but I forgot the name.

So what kind of trouble is she having?
To heavy to hold on point?
Recoil?
Grip?
What kind of shooting do you want to participate in?
Target Comp? Tin can plinking? Hit the door at 15ft?
Shorter barrels have limited accuracy range, small calibers don't have much knock over power, the grip of a kit gun can be made smaller,,,

Too heavy to hold to point of aim, but she (the wife) is also very recoil sensitive. We are talking hit the pie plate accuracy at 7-10 yards off hand shooting, nothing super accurate.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Get the wife an old fashioned wooden rolling pin. She can not only use it throughout the day, but carrying it around will build hand and upper arm strength. Just be careful, lest you vex or annoy her once she's comfy with that rolling pin, lest she whack you upside the head with it when you misbehave :rotf:

AZbpBurner said:
Get the wife an old fashioned wooden rolling pin. She can not only use it throughout the day, but carrying it around will build hand and upper arm strength. Just be careful, lest you vex or annoy her once she's comfy with that rolling pin, lest she whack you upside the head with it when you misbehave :rotf:

Pretty sure the suggestion of implementing your plan would earn me the whack you foresee. :slap:

necchi said:
I'd opt for a Cap-n-Ball revolver.
1851 Colt Navy in 36.
:wink:

That is the fallback, though she already complained the Navy is too heavy. Might try an 1862 Police as a slightly smaller alternative. She shoots a modern .22 autoloader quite well, but is anti-revolver. It only took me 20 years to get her to try shooting anything, and now I am going broke feeding her habit in .22 LR (which is quite a feat). :wink:

Millermpls said:
AZbpBurner said:

Pretty sure the suggestion of implementing your plan would earn me the whack you foresee. :slap:

Surplus helmets make great gifts - put one on the wish list you give her for Christmas (before she knows of the rolling pin).

Nuthin' says lovin' better than a steel pot.

If she can stand a revolver I would suggest a .36 caliber 1862 Police model. They are small and shoot very well for ladies or kids.

They will come with a brass pin up front instead of the partridge target style front sight.

This is light weight, small caliber and inexpensive as well as being readily available from Cabela's. I think it is your best bet.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sho...tyId=705539&entityId=1167468&entityId=1223633

Of course, if your heart is set on a siingle shot, you could get a .45 caliber, which is more readily available than a smaller bore, and just use very light loads of, say, 10 grains of powder. That would give a very light recoil but the weight may not be as light as the Police revolver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this with a little longer barrel won't be heavy, say 32-36-40 cal. by 6"-8" 3/4" fast twist. and cap lock.
Tom

This one is 45 cal by 4" barrel...

Thanks, MD. I actually have one that I haven't shot yet (crazy busy work kept me off the range mist of the season). When she was luke-warm on the Lyman, I dusted it off, cleaned it, couldn't get it to fire all chambers (on another thread, I won't bore you here). In any event, hope to have it tuned for a try for come spring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. The 1849 is next on my list to fill in next to the Dragoon and the Navy. If I can get her comfy with the thought of a revolver, it is a definite candidate.

Back