• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 calibre kentucky kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So thats what happened...OK! wonder if they have given any thought to a cataloque. Thanks for all your help...Hookie

The reason I mentioned the CVA is that is essentially the same rifle as the Traditions Kentucky - two piece stock and all. Deer Creek has a catalog. I don't have the number but you should be able to find it in the list of suppliers.

Deer Creek Products
P.O. Box 246
Waldron, Indiana 46182
765-525-6181
765-525-9595 (FAX)

Good people. I just got an order in for a couple of odd CVA parts yesterday!

LOL! Their number's been posted in this thread three times now, I think. We should all know how to contact them now. :grin:

Hookie, they'll send you a catalog if you just ask. If there's a problem sending one to New Zealand, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you mine.

Hey Jumpshot thats a real kind offer mate and thankyou.The problem we have here in NZ is that we are so far away, possibly to far away..the main reason I asked you blokes for help was because I sent out a dozen e-mails to various suppliers of kitset rifles in USA asking the same questions I put on this forum...sadly only one replied.
We have a current Dixie cataloque but thought it wise to find out what others had to offer as well. We have also dealt with Dixie and found their service first rate but it is nice to know what else is available.
I will send a fax to Deer Creek and we will see.
Thanks again.
Hookie

Hey there 'jumpshot' I see you are offline at present so it must be evening over there or you are at some wild party.As you suggested I tried to fax Deer Creek but to no avail and I had a response from Traditions re the Shenandoah rifle suggested but found they dont have a licence to export out of America and this could be the reason we recieve no replies from some of the companies we e-mail. I will contact our local Police Arms Officer and find out whether we are allowed to import second-hand rifles from the States.....you know of any good sites to check out???? As I said before 36 or 38 caliber squirrel rifle with at least 3feet between sights Kentucky/Pennsylvania shape for preference. Cheers, Hookie

hookie said:
...it must be evening over there or you are at some wild party.

It's evening. My life isn't that exciting. :(

I don't really know anything about import/export laws, maybe someone else can chime in on that. But I'll call Deer Creek and ask them if they can ship to New Zealand. I'll try in the morning, but I don't know if they'll answer as it's the weekend now, so it might have to wait until Monday. But I'll post here as soon as I talk to them.

Talked to them this morning. She told me she got a fax a few days ago, but it was too small to be able to read it. Might want to try that again?

She said they've never shipped to New Zealand, so she couldn't tell me off the top of her head about shipping or legal issues regarding importing/exporting.

I don't know the laws regarding this in New Zealand, but she said you need to gather whatever kind of legal documents you may require to permit you to recieve a muzzleloader and either mail or fax this paperwork to them (it might be easier for you since the item you want is a kit, hence it is not 'shootable'). When they have that information, as well as the item (which one and how many you want), they will find out what they need to do and get back to you (be sure to give them your contact information).

They also don't do the shipping themselves, they have a guy that takes care of that for them. So when they have all your information, they will also have him figure out what the shipping will cost.

When they get back to you with all this information, then you can figure out how to get the money to them.

The item I inquired about is the one I think you were interested in, the .45 Traditions Kentucky rifle kit (pictured above in this thread), item # KR5225, $199 each (not including shipping). I told her you want three of them. She said they still have them in stock (that shouldn't be a problem as I believe Traditions still makes them; it's the CVA guns that are running out).

Hookie,
Everyone has given you good advise, but I don't see anything about Dixie gunworks. I don't know if they still handle them, but at one time they had a rifle called the "cub". It was a scaled down kentucky style in both flint and percussion. Full stock with a patch box and I know it came in 40 cal, I'm not certain about 36 cal.
Mark

The Cub is made by Pedersoli. Good quality (I'm a Pedersoli fan myself), but the kit costs more than twice as much as the Traditions, and hookie is working within a budget to buy these in a batch.

hookie, you mentioned that you want a 36" barrel. Keep in mind that the Traditions Kentucky has a 33 1/2" barrel. I don't know if that matters (only a difference of 2 1/2"). I think this is the only one in this price range that is very close to your requirements, so if you want that extra 2 1/2" of barrel length, you will have to go with a more expensive rifle.

Jumpshot,
Good point about the cost. In the past when we were working with the Boy Scouts and 4H etc. we contacted several manufacturers and were able to get seconds at a very reasonable cost. They were seconds due to cosmetics, not mechanical problems.Hookie, you might try that with a few of the companies. Tell them what you are doing and give them your budget, less a few bucks.
Mark

Jumpshot said:
hookie, you mentioned that you want a 36" barrel. Keep in mind that the Traditions Kentucky has a 33 1/2" barrel. I don't know if that matters (only a difference of 2 1/2"). I think this is the only one in this price range that is very close to your requirements, so if you want that extra 2 1/2" of barrel length, you will have to go with a more expensive rifle.

I also forgot to mention, the Cub has a 28" barrel.

Thanks for you much appreciated help guys..we are having a club meeting on Wednesday night and I will pass on all the info you have given me. I still cannot fax Deer Creek. I myself am still interested in a .36 caliber long rifle purely for target shooting ...any suggestions there. I am a fan of Sam Fadala and he recomends the 36 for target shooting and gives good reasons as to why he likes it. In New Zealand all the law requires is a permit from the Police that proves you have the correct firearms licence. This permit has to be presented to the customs officers upon the goods arrival and they are then release to you. No permit and you lose the goods you bought. Hey you guys have a great day over there! Hookie

Up to say $500 dollars US plus shipping. Could be interested in a good second hand one if it were available, it must be a long rifle roughly 3 feet between front and back sight and sights must be 'fixed'. Naturally a percussion and as I previously stated Kentucky,Pennsylvania etc etc shape.
There is a Rendezvous in NZ in late August and I have asked a couple of shooters to check out the trade table there but .36 caliber are pretty hard to find here.I am not in a rush for this rifle as long as I have one by our summer.
Whatcha reckon Jumpshot?? Hookie

Back