• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldnamvet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondered if the .36 with a T/C maxi (unknown weight) would be adequate for deer at 50 yds or less?

mmmm maybe. a .22 can kill a deer if placed right, but if it was me i wouldnt do it. go with a bigger caliber, better blood trail and shock

A .36 is big enough to kill a deer. But bigger would be a heck of a lot better. Not legal here either. Larry Wv

Legal here in Texas, no minimum caliber law. Having used one on does and hogs, and having it worked out right, I would still use a .45 or bigger. Head shots can go wrong in a hurry.

After seeing a couple of people really mess up headshots I won't use anything smaller than a .50 and go for the heart/lung shot. It has never failed me so far.

Under the right circumstances they can be used, I've used .32's and had everything turn out ok, but you really have to be close, 50 yards and less, better less, and really pick the shot. .36's are good coyote medicine, as well as turkey, coons, and other small game. These days I pretty much stick with my .45 for deer size animals, a little more ummph in case of a twitch.

Haven't used a Maxi, but I shot 2 deer with a round ball(damage permits). I think I was using 55 grns and a 36" bbl. One was a pass there at about 15-18 yards and the second was at about 30 yards and lodged under the skin on the far side. Neither bled hardly at all, but run heavy, so they weren't hard to follow. they both went about 30 yards. I would not shoot past 30 yards and shot placement of course is critical. I would pick a .36 as a survival gun, but cannot recommend as a legit deer caliber. although I would rather that, instead of buckshot!

.36 cal. is not legal in Indiana. You must use at least .45 cal. No doubt a 36 would kill a deer. I would love to use my .40 cal. target rifle!

In MY opinion I think .36 would be irresponsible for deer...ONLY compenasated for by BIG responsibility on the part of the shooter reguarding distance, shot opportunity, weapon knowledge, etc and there still would be to much opportunity for error in a real hunting situation to risk a less then human kill....I'd use a..... well I use a .54 :wink:
I do, however, support anybody as they legally attempt to harvest an animal no matter how they do it as long as they are being ethical.

.40 or larger here.but 100lbs-120lbs is a pretty good deer.we have bigger deer in northern end of state,but they tend to get smaller as you move south (on average)I still would not use anything smaller than .50cal.just my humble opinion :v

Latest posts

Back