• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .32?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebmedina

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Im looking in to getting a ML for small game hunting and I cant decide which caliber would be better. Im going to be hunting squirrel and rabbit mainly, maybe some coons if i get the chance. Which one is better as far as accuracy and effectiveness? Any one have any rifles they can reccomend?

I've owned 2 .32's and now I own a .36 flinter. Either one will work fine for the critters you mention. The .36 will carry just a bit farther and buck the wind just a bit better and might work better in case a coyote comes by. Pretty close comparison tho.

I have one of each. .32cal Blue Ridge and a .36cal Late Lancaster from TVM. They are both nuts on for accuracy. I do find myself using the .32cal most of the time. I guess that's because we kind of grew up together in this black powder life style. I wouldn't part with either one.

Vern

For small game it boils down more to which you can get in a gun style or model you want, rather than any perceptible difference in bore size. While I have both a 32 and a 36, I find myself hunting lots more with a 30 cal I got last year. And heck, if I built one, I'd probably like a 25 even better! But that has nothing to do with effectiveness or accuracy, because they all have it. I just happen to like the individual 30 cal rifle better than the ones I own in 32 and 36.

If you want to shoot things bigger than squirrels and rabbits (in addition to), I'd personally go with the 36. If you were only going to hunt squirrels and rabbits, I'd go with the 32. I have both and I'd have never thought it, but the 36 does quite a bit more damage on critters that size than the 32, from my experience. With the 36, I'll only take a head shot...and it pretty much blows them off squirrels.

It is pretty well a wide open question, isn't it. I have guns in 32,36,38 and 40. They are all good and they all do what you want them to do if they are legal size for the game you are hunting in your state. One thing that is great about the 36, is, if the store you go to like Walmart sells any rd. balls, they probably have ball for your 36, but doubtful if they have ball for the other cal. I mentioned. You will be happy with any of these cal. though and they use pretty close to the same amount of powder, at least mine do.

If you have trouble finding round balls for a .32 buy some shotgun shells loaded with 0 Buckshot and cut the shell open. I have to use a thinner patch with 0 Buckshot than I do with cast .311 but they do work..................watch yer top knot.............

I shoot a .32cal for small game and like it ok. That said, I think a .36cal would be alittle more versatile if a guy is only going to have one small bore rifle. I ended up with a .32 because I ran across it a few years ago at a price I couldn`t pass up. Bottom line is both will work for the critters you mention.

I have both a 32 and a 36. With light loads of 20 grains of 3F Goex the 32 hits squirrels like a 22 long rifle. The only problem with a 32 is everything you want to put in the barrel seems to be the same size and the bore! The 36 is a nice fun caliber to shoot. My TC Seneca likes 40 grains of Goex 3F, which is a bit too much for squirrels unless you hit them in the head. As posted above, in the end it will depend on finding a rifle you like and then you'll have to accept the caliber it is in.

I think you will find the .32 and .36 to be fairly comparable with the .36 getting the vote on less than real good weather days or a little longer shot. Some of us are a little less dexterious than others and the .36 is a little easier to handle.
Mark

Both are accurate as the nut behind the butt!
1 vote for the 36 cal...
more ball weight...better in the wind.carries flatter further..
.my 28" gm barrel loves 25 gr. ff goex..
Squirrels don't care much for it...
Hornady 000 buck .350 works well.
Easier handling with bear paws too.

008.jpg

Back