• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .40 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My question is about a .36 vs .40 that I am wanting to build. Wanting a 42" barrel. Looking for that slider long profile. This will be used for fun, squirrels, rabbits. I am not interested in a .32... Thanks for your input.

Do a search and you will find tons of replies. Only thing I can say is that they are so close, that it depends on the law in your area and what your intentions really are for it. JMHO

Welcome :thumbsup: I see you are in Tn. If you are near the Nashville area you might want to check out Tip Curtis he is located just North of Nashville in Cross Plains. He has a great selection of rifles and parts sets. :wink:

Small game only 36 cal.....medium game 40 cal.+ bonus = lighter barrel :thumbsup:
Can you use a 40 cal. on deer there? :hmm:

Here in Tennessee a .36 is legal for ALL big game in our state... I thank you for your replys and I think I am reluctantly leaning toward the .40 for now...

I am in TN also, I would lean towards the 40, just in case you wanted to take a close range deer with it, I know you can legally hunt all big game in TN with the 36, but how many of the decision makers that came up with that wisdom could even load, shoot and clean a real muzzleloader. I honestly think TWRA thought EVERYONE used pistol bullets in %*&$ inlines with &^%$ sabots when they came up with that nonsense.

Gobbletn said:
My question is about a .36 vs .40 that I am wanting to build. Wanting a 42" barrel. Looking for that slider long profile. This will be used for fun, squirrels, rabbits. I am not interested in a .32... Thanks for your input.
I happen to have a 38" x .40cal Late Lancaster and absolutely love it...it's my smallest caliber and I mainly got it to use as a pretty economical weekly range gun for my retirement, compared to larger calibers, and for the occasional walk for small game.
Personal opinion is that except for the closest / most ideal controlled situations, it is not a caliber I think of as a deer caliber.

The caliber seems to be inherently accurate, there's no recoil of course, and its a lot of fun shooting long range sessions.
Compared to a .36cal, the slightly larger .40cal bore allows a larger stronger ramrod, the slightly larger ball is easier to load...although still susceptible to an occasional fumble when loading, especially with Paul Bunyon fingers.

112511Christenedthe40calLancaster.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a .40 cal. 7/8" 42 inch Colerain barrel for my stock. Cut to 33" with a flared Tang it will drop in. That will get me a 11" barrel to make a pistol with. A .40 cal. is the smallest I can use for small game and since there is a good population of hogs too I can hunt them also, Having the .40 cal. pistol as a backup will be nice too.

Roundball posted his, and since I mostly agree with his assessment, I'll post my Lancaster .40 x 38" swamped. It's all you need.

PICT0560.jpg

armakiller said:
I've been thinking about getting a .40 cal. 7/8" 42 inch Colerain barrel for my stock. Cut to 33" with a flared Tang it will drop in.

That will get me a 11" barrel to make a pistol with.
I know nothing about pistol barrel details...only mentioning this in case I remembered something correctly...I thought that the twist rate in a short pistol barrel was usually faster to get decent accuracy?

I'm just plan on using the pistol as a finishing off shot if I get a shot at a hog. I also have a .50 cal. pistol being made from 11" of spare barrel from my 33" .50 cal. deer rifle. It started off as a 42" barrel also. Both will be flintlocks. :) .I'm only planning on shooting them at 15 yards or less.

Those little .40calibre balls are so small. Can't imagine loading a .32 ball. Stick with a longer barrel. I love my .42inch for balance. That .40 cal Lancaster with 38" barrel is just beautiful.

armakiller said:
I'm just plan on using the pistol as a finishing off shot if I get a shot at a hog. I also have a .50 cal. pistol being made from 11" of spare barrel from my 33" .50 cal. deer rifle. It started off as a 42" barrel also. Both will be flintlocks. :) .I'm only planning on shooting them at 15 yards or less.

Sound Wisdom :thumbsup:

Thanks gentlemen, the overwhelming consensus is the .40! I will sleep better now knowing that question is over... Now to order my gun! York from Chambers...

Back